Dr. Joya??

Cheryl K.
on 1/23/12 1:42 am - Hoquiam, WA
RNY on 03/30/12 with
Ok, so I recently received an email from Dr Joya's office.  I have decided to do a revision from band to RNY. Sounds like they are willing to do my surgery although I have a high BMI.  I would love to get any input about Dr. Joya and if anyone has done the revision from Band to RNY with a very high BMI.  Also, I was told by someone that if you have surgery in Mexico and if there is complications that no Doctor from the states will touch you?  The reason I am going to Mexico is because I could never afford it in the states.  Would love any and all feedback.

Cheryl

hollykim
on 1/23/12 6:27 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
The only thing I can speak to in your post with any experience is about other surgeons. The part about other surgeons not touching you is not true in my experience.

I already had a bariatric surgeon in nashville lined up it I had any problems post op. I would suggest you call around some of the surgeons in your area and see.

I think it is more prevalent in the areas bordering MX like Texas.

also,if you have complications,hospital emergency rooms HAVE to treat us. they can't turn us away.Insurances often will pay in that instnce cause it is hard to prove that the problem is directly related to WLS in MX or anywhere else.

Getting insurance to pay is all about how it is coded. My ins has pain for all my labs and a couple of EDG's since my surgery cause ANYONE can have stomach issues not just WLS folks,KWIM?

Mommyinneed
on 1/27/12 1:57 am - jacksonville, FL
Im planning on scheduling with Dr. Joya next month. I work in insurance and most insurances will pay for care unless they can prove its related to bariatric surgery. My insurance has an exclusion and Im not sure how they will pay with my follow up care but I do know its difficult to prove. Most physicians bill with symptoms. Your probably going to have to see a bariatric surgeon for follow up and that will be billed in relation to your surgery most likely but any other issues you have can be bill with symptoms such as acid reflux etc.....I plan to ask my doctors to bill that way. Its up to them how they bill but its not against the law to only bill one diagnosis versus 3 that Im aware of. The less my insurance knows the more they willing to cover.

Let me know how your experience is. Im very nervous about going to Dr. Joya and Mexico. The procedure itself is also scary.
hollykim
on 1/27/12 5:10 am, edited 1/26/12 5:17 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I will be 2 years out next month. and Thank you God,have not needed to see the bariatrician. Hopefully,I am far enough out not to be having any issues that he would need to address.

I feel exactly the same way about the less they know the more they will pay. I remind all my dr's to not use WLS as coding and have n\had no trouble. Most of them understand perfectly and think it is a shame I had to go to MX,but there you have it.

Since my DH employer's policy excludes it,I don't feel obligated to let them know I had it elsewhere on my own dime,just like I won't when I get plastics or anything else that is "elective". if they aren't paying for it,it is none of their business.

My experience was great. You can go to my profile for a complete description and pics. Although we are using different docs,you can get an idea. The surgery itself was a piece of cake for me. After immediately post op,in about 6 hours post op<i was good to go. Very little pain,more discomfort,no nausea/vomitig after an initial vomiting episode immediately after I woke up.

I was up and showering,checking on forlk I had met earlier in the day,walking,walking walking.

After my two leak tests cleared me for liqs<I had the *best* popsicles I have ever had. I was able to drink just fine from the get go. Have never had trouble eating. I don't even know there is anything different about my stomach except for the restriction.

Don't know if you have ever had any surgery,but lap surgery is ,obviously,better ad easier than open surgery. Iy *is* surgery,though,so you will be tired for a few weeks after as your body heals.

kanesmom
on 1/31/12 6:25 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
I went to Dr. Joya in 2005 for RNY. My BMI was not that high. But Dr. Joya and his staff was EXCELLENT. Couldn't have asked for better!

No help with the revision thing, but I wouldn't imagine much issue with removing a band and doing RNY.

Honestly, I haven't had any complications, so no need for a doctor's care, as far as my RNY. I have had a baby since, no problems there either.

Let me know if I can answer anything specific for you.

Best wishes, Kina

RNY 08/16/05
Weight day of surgery 222
Lost 100 pounds in about 10 months

Pre-pregnancy weight 126
Delivery day weight 166
Currently 118
Baby Gage born 11/02/10
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views