post op care after surgery in Mexico

DRMOMRN
on 1/8/12 2:53 am - OH
Hi everyone,
I have scheduled a VSG in Mexico in March.   am obviously a bit apprehensive. One concern I had is
if I should develop a leak, who would I see locally? I obviously wouldn't fly back to Mexico. The other
concern I have is if my medical insurance would try to not pay for any care related to complications. Thanks in advance for any information you have. My PCP is extremely supportive, so I'm not worried there; but I don't have a "friendly" surgeon here.  Thanks.
Emily F.
on 1/8/12 7:42 am
You need to ask your surgeon what kinds of leak tests he does. Hopefully he does one in the operating room and then another one 2 days later with a barium. If you pass those, I have not heard of developing a leak later on? That would be very strange.

How long are you staying in Mexico? How long in the hospital?
DRMOMRN
on 1/8/12 8:30 am - OH
Thanks for your reply. I know that he does a leak test after surgery and that I stay in the hospital two nights, then two days in a hotel near the hospital. I'll check about the intra-operative test. I read a post somewhere that a woman had developed a leak after returning. It's comforting to hear that it is a rare occurence. I'll be staying in Mexico another two nights after the two that they require.
MARIA F.
on 1/16/12 1:32 pm - Athens, GA

Before you go you need to make arraingments to have a local bariatric surgeon take over your follow up care. Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views