Dr Joya in Mexico

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 12:34 pm, edited 12/29/11 12:34 pm
I had Dr. Joya for a Lapband. Initially he was good....until everything went bad. I would SERIOUSLY URGE you to re-consider him. 

I had lapband surgery with him in 2008, and lost 60 pounds. In early 2010 (just over a year later) the band started leaking. I didn't know that at the time, it took almost a year to figure out what was going on, mostly because i don't have any doctors close to me that understand the band. I went to see him finally last week to find out if it was the port, or the actual band. By this time have gained all of my weight back. He determined that it wasn't in my port or tubing, and that the actual band was defective and would have to be removed, and replaced, and at a 100% cost to me. Basically, they washed thier hands of me, and offered no solutions except a discount on having a gastric sleeve done. I would never reccommend him because stuff happens, and when it does, he is not there for you whatsoever. They didn't offer to contact the manufacturer, or anything....basically....they said good luck, and charged me another $650 for the cost of finding out it was defective. They also chipped my tooth during the endoscopy, which is a veneer, and is going to cost $1000 to fix. They deny that as well. I completely understand that things happen, but they do not care about thier patients, they care about $$$$$$ to pay for their new fancy hospital. I would absolutely stay away from this Doctor. 
After I got home I developed a SERIOUS infection from where they did the port site inspection...likely because whenb i woke up I noticed that (a) some other randome doctor I didn't know was sewing me up and (b) he was not wearing any gloves and didnt have a sterile environment around the incision!!! I ended up in the hospital for a week, then on IV therepy evryday for 2 weeks....I was REALLY sick. I understand that infections are a risk of surgery and can happen anywhere, but I think dr.joya and his team have gotten sloppy, and it is scary. Please reconsider this doctor.  
Kendl L.
on 3/12/12 3:06 pm - Edmonton, Canada
 am scheduled with Dr Joya next month wondering what bad things you have heard
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?