Tijuana Bound in January

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/11 11:30 am
VSG on 01/16/12
After over 40 years of battling weight loss, I finally decided on the Vertical Gastric Sleeve option and to go to Tijuana, Mexico to have it performed.

Back in September, a very good friend of mine told me she was going to Mexico to have this very same surgery. At first I was very concerned for her well being. After she talked to me about it, I was more acceptable of what she was doing. She had her surgery at the Jerusalem Hospital by Dr. Almanza.

When she returned, she was very pleased with her experience. After much research and thought regarding this type of weight loss approach, I decided I would do the same. I was leaning toward the Lap Band, but, I prefer as close as I can get to a natural approach as I can find....the Vertical Gastric Sleeve and that decision gave me much peace inside.

I have developed several health issues, arthritis, neuropathy, bone spurs in both feet, already had one knee replaced, not to mention taking 3 different B/P meds, due to being over weight and nothing I have tried over the years to get it off has worked for me. I am so excited with my decision because I feel as if this is one metamorphosis I am really going to enjoy experiencing.

I am committed to getting my health back. I see younger women than myself that are overweight and I so badly want to tell them what I have experienced being overweight. I remember being told the older you get the harder it is to take off..I did not listen. I realize that we all have to make our own decisions and we can't force our good will on another and we all have our own lessons in life to learn. Maybe it is best to just be a walking example....lol.

My hope for all is to be successful on your weight loss journey. :yesnod:

I live in the Dallas,Texas area and my surgery is scheduled for January 16. Ladies, PM me if your surgery is scheduled for the same day please. My husband, who is very supportive and my rock!!!, will be going with me, airline tickets are in hand and reservations have been made for San Diego......I AM SO READY!!!!!!!!!!
sa82028
on 11/27/11 8:29 am - Canada
Congratulations and best of luck!  I had VSG in Tijuana just over 2 months ago, and it was the best decision I ever made.  I have more energy, my feet and knees don't hurt as much, I've stopped one of my prescription meds altogether, and I feel great.  I'm glad I didn't wait any longer than I did...I'm not getting any younger.  But now I"m finally getting healthier!  :-)
Shannon
(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 9:23 pm
VSG on 01/16/12
Quique
on 12/2/11 11:54 pm - CA
 My only concer and advice is have you tried you insurance locally ??? In US surgeons and Drs have a real follow up. It's a big life change, I am doing it here, there is lots of follow ups and test and drs visits pre and after.. Over in mex, its a 3 day thing but no test no check ups no follow ups. They seem to have lots of experience but I would rather feel more secure in a hospital and a dr who will follow up in case any complications
radrocky
on 12/3/11 10:57 am - Belton, TX
VSG on 01/13/12
I was planning on VSG surgery with Dr. Almanza in Tijuana in January as well, however after asking for feedback on his track record on the VSG forum, I have decided to go else where.  Though you have a friend with first hand experience from there, I would urge you to do a little more research on Dr. Almanza first.  I just feel a personal responsibility to share what I have recently read. 
E_Saenz
on 12/4/11 9:49 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15
I think that there are people that have expectations of a huge hospital and the location is more like a clinic that has the Operating room equipped  in it.  I have not been there yet but I have read things good and bad i think that if you can't afford more then go for it.  But if you can then research better...

God Bless

Elia

Elia Maria Saenz

mellocello
on 12/16/11 12:43 pm, edited 12/16/11 12:46 pm
VSG on 01/23/12
I am scheduled for VGS on January 23, 2012 with Dr. Almanza in TJ.  I too have heard good and bad things.  I think people go expecting to be treated like they would be here in America and are surprised that they are not.  But if you're going to Mexico for surgery, there must  be a reason - Dr. Almanza offers the VGS for a good price.  I've heard more good than bad, so I'm going. 
Msbfree
on 12/21/11 10:50 am - Red Oak, TX
I had surgery with Dr. Almanza, I would do it again,, my surgery was 8/31/2011 cost 4500.00. Total happiness as to date can not even be measured..I am so HAPPY,,, I wish you the best,,, ,

Angieham81
on 1/3/12 3:35 am - Silver lake, WI
 Anyone be in tj around jan 5 th ? 
Angieham81
on 1/12/12 5:25 pm - Silver lake, WI
I did end up going to Mexico, it was a great experience! dr Kelly was wonderful and the hospital and staff were good too. I didn't go into this knowing what to expect but now a week later and nausea and soreness gone, I am so happy I got it done!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views