Sleeve with Dr. Ortiz

dwntwnbrown
on 10/1/11 2:27 am
Hi All-
Has anyone had the gastric sleeve revision surgery with Dr. Ortiz and can share their experience?  Im a former lap bander but having the revision to the sleeve.
duffydog
on 10/1/11 6:31 am
yes, I would like info too. he seems to have good reviews! I did call his office about a month ago to get info & I explained that I was thinking of Dr Ortiz or Dr Kelly & the woman i spoke with said "I wouldnt go to Dr Kelly".. I thought it was weird that she was kind of bashing Dr Kelly!
Emily F.
on 10/1/11 9:28 am
I haven't heard of him doing revisions? You really want someone experienced in revisions, its much more complicated surgery than a virgin sleeve. Make sure you ask how many band to sleeve revisions he has done and his complication rate for REVISIONS. Call several different docs.
lashawna
on 11/18/11 5:58 am - North Hollywood, CA
i see that you recently had revision to vsg with dr. ortiz in Mexico. i visited his facility two weeks ago, i didnt get to meet dr ortiz, cuz he was already gone by that afternoon, but anyway, i was realky impressed by the place and his staff. Please tell me how has your experience been? 
lashawna
on 11/18/11 6:03 am - North Hollywood, CA
i see that you recently had revision to vsg with Dr. Ortiz, please tell me how has your experience been? I visited his clinic two weeks ago, and was impressed. Unfortunately, he was not at the clinic then
dwntwnbrown
on 11/19/11 1:12 pm
I had a really good experience with him and his staff.  It could not have gone smoother for me.  I especially liked his co-surgeon, Dr. Martinez.  They really did a great job and I have no regrets about having my surgery with his facility.  Let me know if you have any more questions, Im happy to help.

lashawna
on 11/20/11 11:51 am - North Hollywood, CA
 Thanks so much for the  reply. I am scheduled for a gastric plication on Feb 3rd, it is like VSG but the stomach is sewed over, instesd of cut away. anyway, it is a new procedure, and i am a bit nervous. Last year i was gonna have a lapband with a different Dr,, and cancelled the 2 days before. i feel good about getting the plication over a lapband, bur lately i am thinking about maybe going with VSG, i am only really concerned about the recvery time though. how has it been for you? also, i was gonna have a breast lift too. btw, i am 5'4 tall, 207lbs.. Dr. So, at Dr. Ortiz, said plication was best for those that have less than 100lbs. to lose.  But it is a non-FDA approve procedure currently, although it has been done in otner countries for 15+ years, and very suppierted by Dr. Ortiz.

dwntwnbrown
on 11/21/11 12:10 am
I was told by Dr. Ortiz that former lapband patients did best with the VSG and not the Plication because of the scar tissue that the lapband leaves after it is removed.  I have only 60lbs to lose, so I am also under the 100lb mark that he mentions.  Of course, every patients situation is different and if  you are not a former lapbander then it sounds like the Plication may be the best option for you.  My recovery was a breeze, I had very little pain and was up walking around very quickly.  The only thing that slowed me down was the drain they left in me for 5 days, but other than being tired, I felt great and have had not issues with pain at all.  I still get tired during the day, but Im told that is normal for the first 6 months.  I was a little heistant about getting the sleeve at first because its not reversable, but I have no regrets at this point. 

roseygirl
on 8/20/14 11:10 am

I know this is an old thread but I had band with dr ortiz in 2007 and it went perfectly. Clean facility and good care. I hated the band and want a sleeve now but can't complain about occ and ortiz.

stephrnmom
on 8/20/14 12:58 pm - OR

I had a gastric band with Dr. Ortiz and had a wonderful experience. I have recently had the band removed but the failure of the band was mine not Dr. Ortiz. I was however VERY dissatisfied with the follow-up after my surgery. When I started having issues losing weight and contacted Dr. Ortiz's staff I got a form letter telling me to call and schedule a consult for the sleeve....like it was the next step. I was very unhappy with this. I wanted support not another surgery. It made me feel like it was just a surgery mill, not that anyone there actually cared about me. Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views