DR. RAMOS KELLY - DS PROCEDURE?

Guate Wife
on 9/27/11 3:08 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

Just to clarify what you have written --- yes, Dr. Kelly does do the sleeve (that is what you had done, the VSG is the sleeve, and is the stomach portion of the DS), what he doesn't do is the DS.  Where the OP got this information, she has not made clear, and I didn't accuse Dr. Kelly of doing so.  He has a great reputation as a VSG surgeon; he has no background as a DS surgeon, and that was my point (as well as other DSers).

There are MANY surgeons who claim to do the DS, in Mexico and elsewhere, only to find out that the surgeon isn't capable of doing so.  The patient gets there and is discouraged from having the DS --- the patient isn't heavy enough, or the DS causes so many issues, etc...., when in reality, the surgeon is just a bait-and-don't-switch, as we like to call them.  OH even allows them to advertise here on their profiles that they perform the DS, when it is known they DO NOT.  Pathetic, and very frustrating & confusing for the patient (kind of like this patient coordinator mess!), who is looking to a doctor to provide guidance for appropriate medical care, and not simply a sales job on what the surgeon is CAPABLE of doing.

Definition of vetting:  Formal and thorough examination (usually by an expert) prior to grant or approval or clearence.  DSFacts.com has a list of vetted DS surgeons, worldwide.  If they are not on that list, people are taking their life in their own hands, and many have lived to regret it... others, not so lucky.  And, frankly, DSers get tired of "cleaning up" the mess because someone is warned even in great detail about their surgeon choice, and then come back with complications and need help to find someone to talk an actual, highly qualified (not just vetted) DS surgeon to take on cleaning up someone's butcher job --- all because someone "couldn't afford" an extra couple thousand bucks, and now needs a freebie from that highly skilled surgeon because they couldn't even afford what they got, let alone the aftercare, or goodness forbid ANY thought of what they would do if a complication happened.

Of the four WLSs, the VSG is by far the easiest to perform.  There is a HUGE rise in surgeons now performing this, especially now that a lot of U.S. insurance companies are covering it.  Most tell their patients it will be all they need, because it is all that surgeon can do --- but if they happen to need more as time goes on, a DS is an option.  They neglect to tell them that:  1)  Insurance won't cover that additional WLS,  2)  They don't perform the intestinal portion of the DS,  and 3)  Getting the intestinal portion of the DS any longer than 6-12 months after the sleeve really isn't going to give the patient any additional benefit in weight loss.  Oh it may help with maintenance, but not weight loss.

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

Jackie00
on 9/28/11 11:29 am
Thanks for the info, I hope I never need the DS and hope everyone that gets it has sucessful treatment. I still have stephs story in my mind, I hope this never happens to anyone else. What is going on with Dr. Husted these days?
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Guate Wife
on 9/28/11 11:43 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

Steph was definitely tragic.... even more so in that she was WARNED countless times, over & over by vets, but refused to hear what was being said to her.  She paid the ultimate price, and so has her family.

Rumor has it that Husted is now in SoCal, awaiting hospital privileges... and the saga continues.

I fully expect him to soon end up in Mexico.  Actually, I've been amazed that he hasn't ended up there before now.

It is really going to take "all of us"  (not just DSers)  to make certain the word is out on this man.  I would no more want to see him perform surgery on an ingrown toenail, than I would a VSG, let alone a DS.

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

Jackie00
on 9/29/11 1:29 am
Definitely tragic and I hope all the new DS possible clients know this. I do let all that I see about thinking about the DS know even though I don't know much about that procedure I do remember this case particular.

I hope he doesn't end up in Mexico, it would only bring bad words about the Mexican surgeons that are reputable.
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Guate Wife
on 9/29/11 5:06 am - Grand Rapids, MI

If you ever do see anything about him on the Mexican Forum, Jackie, a quick post on the DS Forum would be appreciated.  We'll take it from there!  xoxo

Jackie00
on 9/28/11 11:33 am
I agree with walmartian, I think we as Dr. Kellys patients, sucessful surgeries are just getting tired and a bit cranky about the negative stuff being said. And when someone says if you don't book through them, then he won't be the one doing your surgery, it just sounded like someone trying to sabotage his business. Sorry if I got a bit defensive about the situation.
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Ratman
on 2/25/13 7:12 am - MO
I have been in contact with Christy at Dr Kelly's office According to her, as of this writing Dr. Kelly has performed 83 of these surgeries with no deaths and no major complications. I am thinking of using him for my DS. Dr Aceves, who incidentally was trained by Ungson, per Nina In his office has 40 solo DS under his belt. Just food for thought

Chris
Ratman
on 3/1/13 4:33 am - MO

When I spoke to Dr Aceves office it appeared that he only recently began performing DS solo.  The Information I have received from Dr Kelly's office has remained consistent.  83 DS start to finish but more than 1100 revisions from some other surgery to the DS.  Dr Aceves office did not seem to want to be forthcoming with this information.

chris

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1835 views