DR. RAMOS KELLY - DS PROCEDURE?

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 5:03 am - Spring, TX
I AM LOOKING FOR ANYONE THAT HAS HAD DR KELLY PERFORM THE DS SURGERY.

I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT HE DOES DO THIS PROCEDURE BUT I CANNOT FIND ANY POSTS TO VERIFY IT.

THANKS!
Emily F.
on 9/23/11 9:32 am
RUN. Would you seriously go to someone you can't find anyone that had the ds with him????
ND2BTHN
on 9/26/11 1:20 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I couldn't even get his website to work. Didn't even consider him trying 5 times. Lots of people say good things, but from what I hear, his office has way too much drama, and confusion. 
goodkel
on 9/27/11 10:18 am
There is ONLY ONE vetted DS surgeon in Mexico and that is Dr. Gilberto Ungson.

We have had serious complications (inluding someone losing her stomach) and a recent death on the DS board from people trying to save a buck by going to inexperienced DS surgeons.

Dr. Ungson has the lowest self-pay prices of ANY QUALIFIED DS surgeon in North America. Don't risk your life scrambling for a lower price.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/27/11 1:36 pm - Tuvalu
On September 23, 2011 at 12:03 PM Pacific Time, Amy H. wrote:
I AM LOOKING FOR ANYONE THAT HAS HAD DR KELLY PERFORM THE DS SURGERY.

I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT HE DOES DO THIS PROCEDURE BUT I CANNOT FIND ANY POSTS TO VERIFY IT.

THANKS!

Why in the world would you want to do that? 

The only vetted DS surgeon in Mexico is Ungson.

Also, the REASON you can't find any posts to verify that claim ...drum roll...yup...there aren't any.
walmartian
on 9/27/11 2:01 pm, edited 9/27/11 2:01 pm
Dang, Dr Ungson's patients seem to really have it in for Dr kelly! Click on the green Obesity International banner at the top of this page, to talk to someone.
I think all the 'drama and confusion' is on this board, not at any surgeon's office either.

Guate Wife
on 9/27/11 2:13 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

Where did you get that Dr. Ungson's patients seem to really have it in for Dr. Kelly?

Would that be because the OP asked about the DS, and DSers responded about the FACT that Dr. Kelly is NOT a vetted DS surgeon, and that there is in FACT only ONE vetted DS surgeon in Mexico, and in FACT that would be Dr. Ungson?

If Dr. Kelly is saying that he is a DS surgeon, I have yet to see even ONE of his successful DS patients EVER post on the DS forum.  If you have FACTS to counter that for the OP, I'm sure the OP would appreciate that, considering that the DS is a very complex surgery that should only be performed by a vetted DS surgeon that has proctored under another vetted DS surgeon and assisted on MANY before ever attempting to do one themselves --- you know, because people DIE or lose valuable organs or have major complications to deal with the rest of their lives otherwise.

I'm sure you were only trying to be helpful though dear, and not suggesting that knowledgeable DSers might be looking out for the health & well being of a pre-op looking for a qualified surgeon to perform a complicated surgery.

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

Emily F.
on 9/28/11 9:59 am
On September 27, 2011 at 9:01 PM Pacific Time, walmartian wrote:
Dang, Dr Ungson's patients seem to really have it in for Dr kelly! Click on the green Obesity International banner at the top of this page, to talk to someone.
I think all the 'drama and confusion' is on this board, not at any surgeon's office either.
 I have said absolutely nothing bad about Dr. Kelly. The ds is a TOTALLY different ball game.Someone good at vsg does not mean they are good at ds. The intestine involved in ds is like nailing jello to a wall, requires a whole different set of skills than a vsg. I hear Dr. Kelly is great at vsg. Just like some doc can do a ton of lapbands and some are good at rny. Different docs are good at different surgeries. the term 'vetted' ds doc means a doctor has done  acertain amount of ds sucessfully and experienced. There is only one vetted ds doc in Mexico.

I'm sorry if my wording painted a negative light on Kelly, I was not referring to his vsg skills, I was referring going for a ds to a doc that does not routinely do them.
walmartian
on 9/27/11 2:28 pm, edited 9/27/11 4:01 pm
No, was referring to the comments of  "RUN" and so forth--in combo with comments about Dr kelly onin other new threads here. In fact, however, I think 'someone told' the OP misinformation, because I don't think Dr K even does the DS and does not claim to so far as I know. When I had my surgery I saw the list of how many each thing he's done and don't recall seeing DS.
And the OP only wanted to know if it was an option, never said Dr K or his staff said he does that procedure. So the replies could be a bit more geared to telling the Op to get more info, rather than suggesting he is down there doing surgeries he shouldn't be doing.

But yeah, I guess I'm a bit defensive, sorry folks. Believe it or not, Dr K and staff are wonderfiul, could not ask for better. All the petty bickering about him on this board makes me peevy and or sad, because he and his staff are not the ones doing it, have no control over it--and yet t makes them look bad to anyone needing surgery.

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand what's meant by a "vetted' surgeon either--and i'm not trying to be a smartass. I'd like to know what that means since more than one peraon has used the phrase.

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 2:54 pm - San Jose, CA
In the DS world, the trick of advertising/claiming that the surgeon does the DS, and then once the patient is lured into the office, they tell the patient that they "are not a suitable candidate for the DS" but rather for a surgery that the surgeon CAN perform, is called "BAIT-AND-DON'T-SWITCH."  It is reprehensible.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views