Really? No narcotics given in MX after surgery?

soulsister
on 8/21/11 10:35 am - NY
I am really researching going to mexico for sleeve surgery but have searched posts about pain meds and only see the majority of ppl given tramodol or supradol.
If I were to have the surgery in the US I would be givin IV morphine or dilaudid and sent home with a script for lortab.
I have a very low toletance for pain and being a revision I know it will be more painful than a virgin sleeve.
Is this true? If you are in pain can you request something else.
I would be traveling for 7 hours in airports etc. I couldn't imagine only being on tramadol!
twinsand1
on 8/22/11 3:49 am - SC
Yes it is true, no narcotics. I am a revision and my pain was nothing compared to the band.. I didn't have to ask for anything else. My only pain was pressure from the drain. I didn't even have gas pain.
I normally take narcotics for pain and miagraines, so I was scared also but I had my band done in MX so I new no narcotics.. I had 9 hrs of travel back home and was just fine.. I was uncomfortable on 1 flight because it was 5 hrs and I was in a middle seat but I got up and stood alot. I don't know about asking for more pain meds. I just think it is normal practice in MX..

The only bad or not really bad thing about Dr. Kelly is the very old hospital.. I totally recommend him!!

Angela
08/2006 lapband (Dr. de la garza Mexico)282 lbs
09/2008 emergency band removal (Dr. Givens, SC)132lbs
currently weigh 298 lbs
Sleeved 07/13/2011 Ramos Kelly

Kimmes
on 8/22/11 9:04 pm
 I am not sure what I was given - guess I did not pay attention - but I was not in any pain except for the I will call "pressing" of the drain.  No pain really... but I was not a revision so I cannot say what that pain is like :).  Have you spoke directly with Trish or Dr Kelly to as your personal questions?  I thhink that is the best thing to do.   They are more than willing to speak with you on the phone to answer all concerns before you schedule.

Good luck - congrats on doing your research!

Had VSG on Jan 6, 2011 with Dr. Jaime Ramos-Kelly
Start weight 239.8/Su
rgery Day 217.6/goal:155/Current Weight 144.0  I made it -Goal in less than 10 months

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

mit_tens
on 8/23/11 7:15 am - Woodstock, CT
They gave me supradol, and I had a 6 hr flight home and I was totally fine. I didnt need anything and Im a wimp when it comes to pain. :)

Good luck!

Your past does not equal, nor does it dictate, your future. 

HW~245
CW~178
GW~130

Thats 268 sticks of butter GONE!          
Heidi V.
on 8/25/11 10:38 pm - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
I have a very low tolerance for pain; you really could say that I'm a wimp. I was given Supradol as well and was fine. Most MDs in Mexico are not lisenced to give any narcotic. The only ones who are, are the ones who treat cancer patients. In Puerta Vallarta, that makes only 2 MDs. Narcotics are abused in Canada and the US.

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

walmartian
on 8/29/11 1:07 pm

I think I had Toredol in the hospital, which to me is better than narcotics because you don't get all druggy and loopy. I also got a bottle of pills when I left the hospital but never needed them :)

Kelly L.
on 9/8/11 9:08 am
I was very very concerned about pain management!! I kept writing Trish and asking about this, I even offered to pay additional $ if I needed additional meds for pain. I was really scared. Dr Kelly assured me that they wouldn't let me suffer. They give you meds thru IV on a schedule, and other than the gas pain the first evening after surgery, I felt no pain. As soon as I was hooked up to the IV after surgery I felt immediate relief. The IV meds are pain, nausea, antibiotic, and gas elimination meds. I also never needed to take the pain meds they sent home with me, except I did take one the first night in the hotel, just in case cuz I was afraid I would not get a good nights sleep. That's the only one I took. The feeling of soreness kinda like sit ups I had in the hospital was gone as soon as he removed the drain, which by the way, did not hurt me at all. He does this really quick and then you realize hey....that slight soreness is gone! I felt surprisingly good considering I just had surgery. My sister who went with me could not believe how well myself, and my sleeve sisters were doing. Just my opinion, but I credit a lot of this to his experience and skill. I am reading more and more of us Dr Kelly patients who felt the same way.
Having said all that, I was not a revision. But I honestly don't think he will let you suffer. Good luck!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views