Introducing myself!

amyc
on 7/31/11 10:15 pm - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
I had lap-band surgery 6 years ago.  I lost close to 70 pounds (still want to lose 20 more at least).   I also had two band babies during this time, so half of that 6 years was spent pregnant and breastfeeding and not it weight loss mode.   My kids are 18 months and 3.5 now and keep me on toes to say the least lol.

Anyway for the past month I noticed I was able to eat more than normal.  I figured I either had a slow leak or a dilated pouch.  Sure enough, I went to the Dr. last week and found out that my pouch is dilated.   He took some saline out and told me to come back in 3 months.   Hopefully, I'll be able to get another fill and not have anymore trouble.  

IBUT, 've been around the lap-band forum enough to know that once complications set in they don't always go away.  So, I'm starting my research on the sleeve just in case.

To have the revision done with my surgeon will be around 18,000.   My insurance doesn't cover any type of WLS, so I guess I'll be borrowing from my 401K if I need to revise.   From the small amount of research I've done already it looks like I have it done in Mexico for about half of that amount.

I had just started researching plastics in Mexico, so now I'll just switch gears a little and research bariatric surgeons instead.  

I'm looking foward to getting to know you all and finding out more about surgery in Mexico.

Amy

Jackie00
on 8/2/11 7:54 am
Have you looked at any surgeons that you are thinking about going to? 
amyc
on 8/5/11 11:55 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
I've sent emails asking for info to Dr. Aceves and Dr. Alvarez.

Suzanne B.
on 8/5/11 10:01 am - OR

Hi, I have posted this before, but I thought it might be something you might like to read.  If you have ANY questions at all I would be happy to answer any of them. 

The difference in where you have your surgery

I have been doing a little information gathering in the past few days.  I live in the state of Oregon and in the city of Eugene.  I spoke with someone who was going to have to drive to a smaller city than we live in to have her sleeve WLS.  Then I was shocked when she said they are doing it as DAY SURGERY and the doctor wants her to go stay in a hotel close to the hospital once they release her from Day Surgery—just in case something goes wrong she can return to the hospital quickly.  The doctors have only asked her to say in a hotel for one (1) night then she can come back home—about 60 miles away from where she had the surgery. I was SHOCKED to hear that she is going to receive so little care from the doctor or hospital.

This just reaffirms why I went to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico.  I was cared for so differently.  I spent part of one day getting all my tests done—which I am sure in the US they do the same thing.  I had the opportunity to see the hospital and I also saw how often and how much they cleaned just being there for 3 hours for the tests.  I was given paper work to fill out the night before surgery (which they must have you do in Oregon).  I met with a doctor the night before (he comes to the Hotel you are staying in) the doctor who explained the surgery and how it is done went into great detail and asked if I had any questions and then spent more time answering my questions. 

In the morning, I was assigned my very own nurse who was taking care of me—she got me ready for the surgery.  That morning I saw the two surgeons, and the anesthesiologist, who again answered ALL my questions that I forgot to ask the night before.  They explain exactly what they were going to do and what I would feel like when I woke up.  They would have NEVER sent me to a hotel to recover.  I spent 4 days and nights in the complete fully equipped hospital seeing two doctors 3 times a day.  I was given a battery of test before they would consider sending me home.  On the 5th day, I was driven to the San Diego Airport and I flew home.  This is the kind of care you should EXPECT AND DEMAND if you are having this kind of surgery. You need to be doing your recovery in a HOSPITAL.

So the next time someone makes the comment to me about why would I go outside of the US for this kind of surgery this is EXACTLY WHY.  When you want the best you do your research and find the best.  That is just what I did.

No I can’t speak for other doctors in the US or other hospitals, only what I learned while doing a bit of research here in Eugene, OR

If you are having WLS PLEASE ask the doctors, the hospital and those involved what their care is like, and what they will be providing you during your WLS.  YOU have the right to have the best care possible.  You NEED to be your own advocate when it comes to your Health Care.  NEVER SETTLE for anything less than the best when it comes to your health.

I also have this from someone who posted about her experience and I thought you might like to read it too.

I had my surgery at the INT hospital in Tijuana, Mexico. My surgeon was Dr. Jose Rodriguez. He was very good, very caring, and seemed to know exactly what he was doing. I had done a lot of research before setting up my surgery in Mexico, I wanted to be sure that I would get good care. Many of the employees there spoke at least basic English, and there was a translator on staff who checked in with me at least twice a day. I did have some concerns though.

1.) They didn't put a name band on me, and no positive identification was ever done prior to giving me medications. (I am a nurse and this REALLY stuck out. EVERY hospital here in the US puts a name and on their patients on admission!)

2.) No one even asked me if I had any allergies. Luckily I am only allergic to adhesive tape. But if I had an allergy to some kind of medication, I could have easily been given that med and no one would have realised what was wrong.

3.) When my pre-op lab work was drawn, the tech didn't speak english, and did not label my tubes of blood prior to leaving the room. Where I work we draw all our patient's blood work, and the rule is you label the tube with patient's name and birthday, your name, date drawn and time drawn before you leave the patient's room to make sure the tubes are NEVER mixed up with someone else's blood. (Think what a disaster it would be if someone needed blood post op, and the tubes were mixed up and the lab cross matched the blood they were going to administer with someone else's blood, could be a Fatal mistake!)

4.) I started on ice chips the day after surgery, and tea and apple juice later that same day. The next day they didn't serve me anything. I went out to the nurses station to ask why, and if I could get something. Was told by the nursing staff that I wasn't allowed to eat anything. When I stated I had ice chips, juice and tea the day before the nurse said "WHO gave it to you?" I don't know if it was language problem or what, but the surgeon had JUST told me I could have all the liquids I wanted. Minor frustration.

5.) Very minor, but wireless internet was supposed to be available, and it was very erratic, some times working, some times not.

6.) Was supposed to get a copy of the operative report prior to discharge from the hospital, but still have not received it. Coordinator told me she would email to me, but still haven't received it. Maybe will come later today or tomorrow. Again, very minor.

7.) All in all, most of the experience was good. But I have major concerns about numbers 1,2 and 3. Would think twice before I went back there. Luckily I am a nurse, and could watch out for myself, as I knew what was what (and I told my husband not to let them give me any blood or blood products!)

Please do a lot of research before picking a doctor.  You want the VERY best you can have.  It isn't about price shopping .  I can tell you that Dr. Aceves is a bit higher for a revision.  I am not sure what his fee is right now, but call and ask.  Yes you can get it for less with other doctors, but for me I knew he was the doctor I wanted.

Take care,
Suzanne

Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
amyc
on 8/5/11 11:54 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
Thanks for your reply Suzanne.  Dr. Aceves is one of the doctors that I've been researching.  He is a little higher, but not drastically so. 

Thanks again!
Amy

Suzanne B.
on 8/5/11 2:14 pm - OR
Hi Amy,

If you have any question at all please feel free to ask me.  I will be very honest and tell you anything I can.  I just know without  a doubt that he is the VERY best you will find in Mexico.  Please consider having him do your surgery when you are ready.  I am very leery of the doctors that are in Tj--just heard too many things that makes we want to stay away from their clinic's and recovery house.

Do your research, check for infection rates and make sure that the staff if are really RN's if the recovery is NOT a hospital--you know like Recovery Houses.  I knew that I wanted to be in a hospital and I will willing to pay for that.  I found that so many of them are staffed by NON medical people in Clinic's and Recovery Houses. 

I really do wish you great success.

Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Dedria
on 8/6/11 9:17 am
Hi Amy,

I had my "sleeve" done in May with Dr. Ponce de Leon at the INT Hospital in Tijuana and had a great experience.  I had to have my band removed first; followed by the sleeve on the same trip.  The cost is $6,900; whi*****ludes everything except for your flight to San Diego.  That includes the surgery, hospital, guesthouse for recovery and all ground transportation.  I'm going in September 9-12 to take two other ladies from Louisiana.  You are always welcome to join us.

Dedria
Dedria
on 8/6/11 9:22 am
P.S. I had my band six years ago and the revision with the sleeve was one of the easiest things I've ever done.  I stayed two nights in the hospital (with great nursing staff and a house doctor on the floor around the clock) and one night in the recovery house, which specializes in weight loss and after weight-loss cosmetic surgeries and operated by an American woman).  Dr. Ponce de Leon is one of the best baratic surgeons in Mexico because he has been performing these procedures for so many years -- just ask any other doctors about his reputation!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views