Questions about surgery time frame in Mexico

Sherry T.
on 7/10/11 12:35 pm
Hello everyone
I posted this same question on the main VSG board.  I started this whole process with an American surgeron 90 days ago and I am tried of getting the run around.  I am a self pay and I will be looking into other options for surgery after a call to my US surgerons office tomorrow.  What kind of time frame do you approximately have between calling a surgery center and your actual surgery date?  I have completed all my pre-op evaluations here and still with no call from my surgeron's nurse about setting a surgery date.   Do the surgeron's in Mexico require about all the same pre-op evaluations?  What questions should I be prepared to ask to a Mexican doctor that I haven't already asked my US doctor?  Thanks for any information
Heather T.
on 7/10/11 12:49 pm
I was a self pay and decided to go to Dr. Kelly in Tijuana. I paid for the procedure and I got to pick my surgery date.  It was that simple.  I didn't have to do any pre op evaluations before going. When I did get the hospital there I had a EKG for my heart, Xray of my lungs, and blood work.  I also spoke with a cardiologist, the surgeon, coordinators, etc. 

Good luck!

First Goal: loss of 30.25 pounds (1/4 of weight) GOAL MET ON 6/15/2011
Second Goal: loss of 60.5 pounds (1/2 of weight)  GOAL MET ON 9/24/2011
Third Goal: loss of  90.75 pounds (3/4 of weight)
Fourth Goal: loss of 121 pounds (100% of weight)

Sherry T.
on 7/10/11 1:01 pm
How long was your hospital stay?  Did you have any regrets at all about leaving the US for surgery?  I am just sick and tried of the run around that my US surgeron's office is giving me.
Heather T.
on 7/10/11 1:20 pm
I have no regrets on leaving the country. The hospital was clean and the staff was incredible.  I brought a friend and well she said that when she has the procedure in the next year or two she will be going there as well.

I stayed 2 nights in the hospital and 2 nights in a hotel after I was discharged.  Dr. Kelly came to the hotel to check on me while I was in the hotel as well. 

:)

First Goal: loss of 30.25 pounds (1/4 of weight) GOAL MET ON 6/15/2011
Second Goal: loss of 60.5 pounds (1/2 of weight)  GOAL MET ON 9/24/2011
Third Goal: loss of  90.75 pounds (3/4 of weight)
Fourth Goal: loss of 121 pounds (100% of weight)

hollykim
on 7/11/11 7:47 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
usually you can get a date as quickly as you can pay your deposit,get a passport ad do whatever their preop diet is,usually 2 weeks max.

You might ask about a discount since you already have all your test to bring with you. they should accept them and might save you some $$.

I have begun to be glad I was a self pay after seeing people go thru ridiculous hoops to get ins to pay then their copay/deductible often is more than what I paid for the whole thing in MX!

Good luck,
H

Dedria
on 8/6/11 9:46 am
I was self pay and had my surgery with Dr. Ponce de Leon at the INT hospital, very clean and very comfortable.  Usually if you book your flights out about three weeks in advance you get better rates.  I paid $6,900 for my "sleeve" and that included everything except for the flight -- two nights in the hospital and one night at a guesthouse.  I paid a $500 deposit, which came off of my total cost.  I am going again Sept. 9-12 to take two ladies from Louisiana and would love to have you join us. 

Dedria
walmartian
on 8/6/11 11:37 pm
I also went to Dr Kelly--great experience, stayed 2 days in the hospital and 2 nights in the hotel. I would absolutely do it again. They will do all the pre-op the day you get down there, no endless waiting like you do here. you can take the records you already have but they will still do an ekg, etc and blood testing.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views