i'm so scared

msleesa
on 6/26/11 12:40 pm
  I'm having surgery in a few weeks and my mother is everything but supportive. I told her I was having surgery but never told her that I was having my procedure done in Mexico.  She basically told me to go a head and kill myself. My cousin also added into the conversation to spice it up like a hype man. They have me really scared to go. Telling me that Mexican in the drug cartel kill americans for our passports. I'm very ignorant to world news. I don't even watch the local news because she there's nothing good on it. I haven't heard of this whole war between Mexicans and Americans. I told her to stop being negative but I'm scared now thinking that although many people have gone to dr. kelly and have nothing happen to them, but what if that day isn't my lucky day and I'm abducted. Maybe I'm over reacting... *sigh* I wish i never told her where I was going and just did what I had to do. What sucks even more is i'm going alone by myself.
walmartian
on 6/26/11 12:45 pm
Yes, you are over reacting, and why would they kill anyone for their passport when it's probably pretty easy to get a fake one in MX. After all, if you disappeared down there then you would be on a list of some kind here in the us I'm sure--NOT what someone trying to sneak in wants, I'm sure.

If i was you I'd tell mom, cousin and whoever else that you just don't want to discuss it anymore, period! Am I right--mom nor cousin do much traveling, do they? You will be FINE.

msleesa
on 6/26/11 12:55 pm
 Thanks for the reassurance. I'm just going to avoid them until after my surgery. My mom thinks that me having surgery is pointless. I just wish I had her in my corner but obviously you can't make everyone happy. I'm going to get it done regardless but she just added to my nervousness. I'm sure when I start losing a lot of weight she's gonna shut her mouth and stop talking crap.
walmartian
on 6/27/11 1:36 am
Good for you, sometimes the fear goes away when you get a little po'ed about the comments instead! At any rate, you only have less than 2 weeks left now. You will probably have a minor freakout at the hospital, AND right after the surgery. Those are normal too. Better times coming, I promise!

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/11 9:23 am
I just went to Dr. Kelly on May 27 and have to tell you that you have nothing to worry about! Dr. kelly makes sure all of his patients are well taken care of.  Ricardo should be the one to pick you up from the hotel or airport and hes very nice.  From there str8 to the hospital and the nurses are very nice.  (Since you are going alone bring a laptop or plenty of books cause you might be bored)  Once you have surgery and are ready to leave for your leak test its no more then 10 minutes down the road then next to the hotel.  Stay in Lucerna if you have the option (It was a $44 upgrade for me but so worth it)  The hotel is like staying in a very nice hotel in america.  Talk to trish if you want to get out and they will arange for someone to go with you.  My cousin and i walked to the market a few blocks down the road the day before we left and everyone on the streets were very nice and spoke plenty of english.  You do not have to worry about gangs or anything like that unless you go looking for trouble like in the states.  It is not around anywhere Dr. Kelly has you stay.  Best of luck and no worries!
Heidi V.
on 6/28/11 12:31 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
My family knew that I intended on having wls, but I didn't tell them where or when. One day, it accidentally slipped out and everybody freaked. I tried reassuring them to no avail. I finally just told them that I'm a grown woman and I am capable of making decisions for myself. I told them to keep their opinions to themselves because it wouldn't change a thing. When I went to Mexico, I sent everybody an email before and a few hours afer the surgery, just to say everything is good. Now I am 8 weeks out and I finally have their full support. So, don't worry about what your family thinks now; just do what you know is best for you.

As for the kidnappings.......don't worry about it; the chances of that happening are slim to none. Dr Kelly will look after you; you will not be on your own. Bring your computer if you can because I think there is wifi in the hospital (at least there was in Puerto Vallarta).

Good luck and keep in touch.

Heidi
xx

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views