My family says going to Dr Aceves in Mexico is crazy!!

thethinme
on 6/11/11 12:22 am - NY
I did it with him. My family thought the same thing. I did it anyway.

Honestly, the main issue is not the surgery darling. It's the after hehe. You have about 3-4 months of hell and then things get more normal.

Dr. A. and me did not connect that much when I met him. I don't mind, because I did a lot of research before surgery and I knew he does a good job. When I came back to my city, I went for a checkup with the doctor my PCP first recommended (big shot at NYU) and when he saw my x-ray first thing he said is: "perfect".

So my advice is - no problem doing it in Mexico. You won't have a follow up as others sometimes seem to have here, but I am fine with it... you need to learn what lab exams to do and get your PCP do them.

I could not pay double/3 times what I paid to do it here, and I don't regret doing it down there.

SW 215=98 | GW 137=62 | CW: 116 lbs = 52.5 kg | 5'4 | lost: 99 lbs=45 kg | goal: 7-9 mo.

Crissy327
on 6/13/11 9:42 am - NC
Thanks so much.
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
Crissy327
on 6/17/11 1:40 pm - NC
Hey,

I have been thinking about your post ever since I read it. I have been wondering what you meant by the 3-4 months of hell. Can I ask what was hell for you?
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
Heidi V.
on 6/11/11 7:09 am, edited 6/11/11 7:10 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
I went to Dr Joya in Mexico on May 2nd. There are a few surgeons in Mexico with fantastic reputations. I must say that my family freaked out when they first found out, but I sat with them and answered all their questions. They still weren't completely at ease, so I invited them all to come down with me, but nobody took me up on the offer. The hospital I stayed at had wifi, so I contacted everybody through skype within 12 hours of the surgery. That made everybody feel great and now I have full support.

Good luck!

Heidi
xx

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

Heidi V.
on 6/11/11 7:13 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
Oh, I forgot to mention; dr Joya charges $10k whi*****ludes flight, 2 nights in hospital and 3 night in hotel. I used a financing company. They charge 12.5%, but initially charged 16.9% and I talked them down. It's always negotiable if you have decent credit.

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

Crissy327
on 6/13/11 1:54 am - NC
I was going to apply for financing too. Where did you finance yours at? Anyone know of a good place to finance?
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
lilliana0997
on 6/28/11 10:20 am
check out beliteweight.com . they offer in house financing with a 3500 down payment no interest
Crissy327
on 6/28/11 12:01 pm - NC

Thanks!

On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
WANTINGASLEEVE
on 6/12/11 5:42 am
I just recently went to Tijuana and had surgery with Dr. Ramos Kelly.  I had the Mini gastric Bypass.  I was a little nervous as they wheeled me to surgery.  But I DO NOT regret having it done or where I did it.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  It cost me half of what I would have paid here in the states.

Im down 25 pounds so far.  Had Surgery May 31!! :) 

message me if youd like to talk
Crissy327
on 6/13/11 1:51 am - NC

Thanks for your response. What is a mini gastric bypass? My mother is going to have the regular one in a few months. I have not heard of the mini.

What did you think of Dr. Kelly? I have read many good things about him.

Congrats your weight loss!! 25 lbs is awesome!!!

On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1835 views