HEADED THAT WAY!!

WANTINGASLEEVE
on 5/28/11 11:42 pm

Well I leave tomarrow, my husband and I will be on a plane headed to San Diego.  I am REALLY going through with it!!  I am having surgery with Dr. Kelly on Tuesday.  Have to admit Im very nervous.  The thought of leaving the comforts of the United States to have surgery kinda worries me.  Can anyone tell me what its like??   Is it safe??  I have been battling my weight for 18 long years.  And I have decided its time to get in control of it.  When I wake up of a morning and cant walk across the room without wanting to cry because of my feet hurting I think its time. 

Anyone with feedback of Dr Kelly would be greatly appreciated.  I have read for many months about him and he seems WONDERFUL!! 

Heidi V.
on 5/29/11 1:39 am - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
Hi,

I had my surgery on May 2nd with Dr Joya. It was a fantastic experience. The hospitals in Mexico are immaculate and beautiful. You will be very well cared for. It surprised me, but the care is better in Mexico than it is at home. Nobody sleeping in the hallwys...lol. If I called a nurse, within 2 minutes I had one. If there was a problem; like I got very light headed because my blood pressure dropped too low, I had a doctor within 5 minutes.

I heard Dr Kelly was very good, so you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck!!

Heidi
xx

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

gibgirly
on 5/29/11 11:42 am
Im going to kelly for sleeve surgery on june 3.  i wish we were going the same day...you'll probably be leaving when I arrive.  anyway goodluck .  maybe we can exchange phone numbers so we can speak while being there... Private message me if you'd like.  :) 
Heather T.
on 5/29/11 1:45 pm
I had surgery with Dr. Kelly 5 days ago and he was AMAZING!  Very friendly, competent, and down to earth.  The hospital was not as updated as the ones in the states that I have been in.  They also do things a bit different like instead of having alcohol wipes they used cotton balls soaked in alcohol. It didn't bother or effect me at all.

Everyone (Dr. Kelly, cardiologist, nurses, etc) will come in an introduce themselves.  Some of the nurses didn't speak english well and others spoke it great.  It wasn't a problem as we still communicated (I brought my laptop and had an english to spanish website up if I had too much trouble----which did happen twice where I used it). 

When I first got to Tijuana I was nervous as we drove to the hospital (some of the areas looked very run down and kinda scared me) but once I got there and met the staff I knew I was in good hands. The hospital was away from the area that made me nervous and like any big city you have those areas!  You will love Dr. Kelly and his team! 

Bring gas-x, chapstick, loose fit clothing and if you can a english to spanish dictonary or use one off your laptop if needed (more than likely you won't need it but just in case it helps).  They had slippers there and post op gaterade, jello, and medications were brought over to the hotel.

First Goal: loss of 30.25 pounds (1/4 of weight) GOAL MET ON 6/15/2011
Second Goal: loss of 60.5 pounds (1/2 of weight)  GOAL MET ON 9/24/2011
Third Goal: loss of  90.75 pounds (3/4 of weight)
Fourth Goal: loss of 121 pounds (100% of weight)

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/11 4:42 am
I am still here in Mexico and Just had surgery with Dr. Kelly.  I have to agree with Heather.  I was scared driving in at Night and getting to the hospital.  Once I had a night sleep and went in for surgery I was fine. It was a rough first night with alot of gas and getting sick for maybe an hour.  The next morning was like heaven!!  I felt so much better.  All of the nurses are really nice and dont understand much english but do understand when you are telling them pain or that you need something.  They came very quick everytime I rang the buzzer.  The hospital had just two beds and and tv with an attached bathroom.  Very simple but enough.  They do have a caffateria but charge $7usd per meal.  The meals are vegiterian (sorry for my spelling hope you can still understand)  They still look very good and my guest enjoyed it.  As for the hotel Lucerna. It is very nice and just like a hotel in the us.  Resturants are a bit pricey but the food looks well worth it for out guest to enjoy.  Overall it has been a very interesting trip and Im glad to be sleeve but very happy to be going home tomorrow.  The biggest shock was driving through Mexico and seeing how poor alot of it is here and to relize we are in a different county but all will be find and Dr. Kelly and his nurses will take very good care of you and you are safe!  Good Luck!
WANTINGASLEEVE
on 6/5/11 10:24 am
Well Im BACK!!!  I can honestly say that it was a GREAT experience.  The only problem that I had was one of the nurses who didnt speak very good english couldnt keep her hands off my iv. LOL  It wasnt moving fast enough for her through my vains so she had to keep making it faster.  Finally I told her SLOW!!!  so it didnt hurt. 

Dr. Kelly was wonderful.  He is so personable.  Came in talk to me and answered any questions that I had.  I was about to change my mind and have the sleeve done instead of the MGB but he told me if that was my first thought to have done then thats what I should do.  So Mini Gastric Bypass it was!! 

My husband was very nervous at first.  But by the time we left he has decided that in 2 years we are going back for vaction.  He really enjoyed himself. AND ATE SOME WONDERFUL FOOD!!  Hes 6'5' and skinny so he really enjoyed walking around to all the vendors and eating.

ALL in ALL I would definately suggest to anyone to go to DR KELLY!!!  He is an Amazing man.  He even brought his 6 year old son to the hotel to see us.  Thought that was very cool!!  Never seemed bothered by us at anytime>>>

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views