after care/post-opt

d_thomcat2000
on 5/4/11 6:31 am - Kapaa, HI
OK.....I m considering getting weight loss surgery in Mexico.  

I have heard that American Dr's. are reluctant to and real creeps about taking in patients who have had surgeries in Mexico.   Is this true?   And if it is true how does one navigate this?????????????   I can have the the greatest surgeon in Mexico or the world for that matter but if I don't get appropriate after care the whole thing turns into a frightening prospect.  
hollykim
on 5/4/11 12:51 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Prior to going to Mx for my surgery,I checked with my PCP to see if he would be willing to follow me and draw my labs post op and he agreed.

There is also at least one bariatric group in my town that will take patients who have had surgery elsewhere,including MX. The require a program fee and since I have had no complications I haven't needed them,but it is nice to know they are there if I should need them.

I would check with your PCP as a first stop.
good luck and keep us posted.
Holly

Emily F.
on 5/10/11 10:24 am
Definitely find a wls friendly pcp now, they will need to do the pre op testing anyway and you need to discuss after care. My original pcp was supportive of my surgery but ended up not really knowing my labs and I have yet to find a pcp I'm happy with. So find one before hand.
walmartian
on 5/10/11 12:04 pm
All my regular DR's knew what I was going to do ahead of time and have been supportive before and since; you can find good care. If a dr acts like a jerk due to 'where' you had your surgery, don't go back there.

Jeff Q.
on 6/23/11 3:32 am, edited 9/27/13 1:06 am

As others mentioned, finding a supportive PCP is an essential first step.  If your current PCP is unsupportive at first, ask if he/she would be willing to review the same research you have.  Weight loss surgery in Mexico or other countries can be just as safe (if not safer) than at hospitals in the US, but that can only be determined after a thorough evaluation.

For example, the Joint Commission is the most respected domestic agency for hospital accreditation. Their international division, called the Joint Commission International or JCI, has equally rigorous ongoing qualification requirements.  Make sure your Mexican surgeon will conduct your surgery in a JCI-accredited hospital, then educate your PCP about this. 

Finding a supportive local bariatric surgical practice is also important. In addition to handling any longer-term complications that may arise, they can connect you to a local weight loss surgery support group and offer the services of a dietitian to monitor your progress.  If you have a tough time finding one on your own, ask your Mexican surgeon to contact your local surgeon directly.  This will lend credibility to your request and show the local doctor that your chosen surgeon is a responsible practitioner.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views