Protein Shakes

Heather T.
on 4/7/11 3:58 am
My surgery date is May 24th with Dr. Kelly and I was looking at his preop diet.  Protein shake for breakfast and lunch starting 2 weeks before surgery (May 10th).  I want to start substituting a protein shake for breakfast now.  My problem is I really do not know much about protein shakes.  I do know that I don't like the taste of slim fast! 

Any suggestions on protein shakes or how to make them?  I bought a container of All Natural Pro-Optimal Whey and honestly I am lost on what to do with it.  I know that I can mix it with water, milk, etc (I don't care for milk) so is it alright to mix it with ice and fruit and have more of a fruit smoothie? 

Thank you!
baydoll
on 4/7/11 9:42 am - Ottawa, Canada
I made fruit smoothies using a magic bullet type blender. I mixed low-cal juice, greek yogurt, frozen berries and my protein. Absolutely yummy!!
Heather T.
on 4/7/11 9:42 pm
Ohhh, what a great idea! I love greek yogurt and fruit!  Off to the store I go!!  Thank you for the advice!!!
KIMMYEGG
on 4/9/11 9:54 am - DES MOINES, IA
I like CHIKE and UNJURY..only over internet, but they taste really good!
Kimmy..xoxo             
Heather T.
on 4/9/11 10:42 am
Thank you, I will look into them. I bought some Pro-Optimal All Natural Protein Whey online.  I made a shake with yogurt, protwin whey, and frozen fruit.  It turned out good.  I just will need some variety. I will look online for chike and unjury. 

(I hope you enjoyed the great weather today Kimmyegg....I am a fellow Iowan and it was gorgeous out!)
KIMMYEGG
on 4/10/11 12:42 am - DES MOINES, IA
 Awesome day yesterday, and nice now if rain hold out!! Im glad I found someone thats getting sleeved here in Ia, doesnt look like too many of us!! Where ya from? What will you do for aftercare/? Lets keep in touch!!
Kimmy..xoxo             
Heather T.
on 4/10/11 2:02 am
It was gorgeous out! I am hoping for no rain today so I can spend it outdoors!

I haven't talked to another Iowa sleeve-r, must be only a few of us (or atleast on the forum). I am living in Ottumwa but looking to relocate to Des Moines in the next year. I graduate days before surgery and than I want to get some things down around the house and get it sold and off to the big city I go. 

I agree lets keep in touch! It will be nice to have someone who is going through the same things at the same time.  We can compare goals, trials, and new foods that fall within the postop diet.  For followup care I am just using my doctor in town. I am going to focus on walking for the first 6 weeks as I think that is the normal of anyone with surgery.  After that cardio and resistant weights are my plan.  What about you?
KIMMYEGG
on 4/10/11 10:12 pm - DES MOINES, IA
 I will be using my PCP as well, seems like its mostly just labwork that needs checked out..I am with ya on walking first, then am thinking of Farrels, I did that program before and really enjoyed it, its just kinda pricey! So what are you in school for? Married? Kids? Talk soon! I am off to work!
Kimmy..xoxo             
Heather T.
on 4/10/11 10:22 pm
Farrells looks awesome!  

I have 33 days till I graduate with my RN.  43 days till surgery.  I plan on going further with my degree but I will take a bit of a break to heal.  I am divorced with 3 kids, ages 13, 11, and 9.  Got to get my health back as I have a lot to be healthly for.  I also work for the hospital (non nursing). 

What about you?  

Have a great day at work!  Talk soon!
KIMMYEGG
on 4/10/11 10:27 pm - DES MOINES, IA
Hello!! What a coincidence!! I am a Nurse, a private scrub for an all girl Gyne group here!! Wow! I have an 11 yr old boy here at home with me, and a BF, who is a Gynecologist!! I agree on health! We do have alot to be healthy for!!
Kimmy..xoxo             
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views