Impatient!

SpiceyMom
on 4/4/11 7:07 am, edited 4/4/11 8:43 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
I want to get this surgery DONE! Like before summer! I have been seeing a surgeon in my hometown and, even as a self-pay, they are having me jump through a LOT of hoops, pay a LOT of money (for RNY), and I'm really thinking about going to Mexico.

To get to my first question...how far in advance did you have to schedule your surgery? I am awaiting a call from Dr. Kelly's office regarding their schedule but I was wondering about other surgeons, as well.

I am also concerned about aftercare. Who helps you? My brother-in-law is my PCP...would that be enough help as far as getting bloodwork and such done? I know we have support groups in the area and as I understand it they are open to all, as are the nutritional classes. Am I missing something? I want this to be for life, to be successful and lead to health, not nutritional deficiencies and the like. (ACK! It just occurred to me that it sounded like I think I'm the only one with those goals. NOT TRUE! I just didn't want anyone to think I wanted some kind of short cut. OK?)

Thanks for ANY input/advice/encouragement!!!
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 7:31 am
Hi Spicymom!

I'm set for VSG Surgery with Dr. Kelly May 27.  You have a two week pre-op diet with him. Besides that time included with your booking they were flexible to the dates. I requested info for June and they fit me right in and had dates open before then.  I'm sure if you wanted to go sooner they would still have something open. 

As far as follow-up care, my PCP will be handling all my Bloodwork and Upper GI.  I was told that I would need to check everything out  6 months post-op and sooner if I have any question or concerns.  Dr. Kelly staff has also been very helpful with all my questions and they have a number to contact him after surgery if needed. 

As far as other Doctors in Mexico and booking dates. I also checked out Dr. Pompa, Jose Rodriquez, Aceves, Almanza, Ortiz,Joya and Alvarez.  They were all about the same when it can down to pro-op diets and booking time.  Hope this info is of help to you and if you have anymore questions I would be happy to help as best as i can. PM me.

Jennifer
SpiceyMom
on 4/4/11 7:47 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
Thank you, Jennifer! I'm Jill, by the way. Thanks for the info. Is it normal to have an upper GI? I hadn't read that yet. I've been reading Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies and these forums but there is just SO MUCH info to absorb.

How many days are you supposed to plan on being there? Does everyone have a travel buddy or do some go alone? Seems like it would be very boring for the buddy! LOL

Thanks again!!

Jill
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
walmartian
on 4/4/11 10:06 am

I got into San Diego one night, and got picked up the next morning, and had my surgery that afternoon. I stayed 2 nights in the hospital, and 2 in the hotel before going back to SD. Some people stay 3 nights in the hotel, I think. I actually felt plenty good enough to go after the first hotel night; my sister and I walked all over the 'tourist Avenue' (Revolucion?) for about 5 hours and I was fine. So, we were both kind of bored at the hospital, but had fun at the hotel. And  before coming back to GA, I had added 2 days in San Francisco in case I didn't think I could handle flying yet. I felt great and ended up walking all over Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf, as well as one of the Redwood parks also.
Anyway, I'm making a short story long...
If you can get into San Diego very early in the morning, by 8, the driver can pick you up there. Otherwise, spend the night before in SD. You will need the 4 nights in MX, then could fly home on the afternoon you come back to thew US. So, you would be there a minimum of 5 days and 4 nights

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 1:58 pm
Hi Jill, I have heard it mentioned on the boards and spoke to dr. kelly about it. I heard that it is good to make sure everything is flowing correctly and my doctor recommended it as a follow up at my 6 month. I was told by the staff with Dr. Kelly I would have follow up information to come home with. 

You dont have to have a travel buddy, but nice for the company and someone to help get in and out of bed, help at the airport and someone to talk to besides the nurses.  Im sure it is fine to go alone but my family will feel better if someone comes with me so I will be bringing my cousin.  

I fly in thursday night and will be having surgery that friday morning and flying home on Tuesday the 31st.  If you need a buddy I will be there May 27  :)

Jen 
nefit3
on 4/5/11 2:29 am, edited 4/5/11 3:35 am
Hi there!  I just scheduled my surgery with Dr. Kelly for April 26.  They had dates that week (except Apr. 25) as well as the week prior if you're interested in scheduling this month yet.  I've been working with Christi Bearden through www.successfullyslimmer.com and she's been phenomenal....so responsive and patient through all my questions.  (let her know Sarah G sent you! :) I've also gotten the thumb's up to leave the afternoon of the 29th instead of leaving on the 30th so I can get back home to my baby as soon as possible.  The doctor will just check me in the morning instead of night and I don't plan on doing any shopping, so I'm happy to leave early!  My husband's going with me (more for his peace of mind than mine), but I'm hoping to meet some other sleevers while I'm there.  Good luck to you!
Kimmes
on 4/6/11 8:47 pm
I scheduled my surgery in Nov 2010 and had it on Jan 6, 2011 - That was with Dr Kelly also! (Great choice in surgeons - he is wonderful!). That time got me through the holidays on my pre-op diet - which was great so I could not allow me to indulge and it did not bother me a bit!

I traveled alone - but had met online another woman who was going to be there the same time - Davida is my sleeve sister now and we stay in contact weekly. I am now 3 months post-op and have lost 55 pounds. This was the best gift I ever gave myself!

KIm

Had VSG on Jan 6, 2011 with Dr. Jaime Ramos-Kelly
Start weight 239.8/Su
rgery Day 217.6/goal:155/Current Weight 144.0  I made it -Goal in less than 10 months

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Batgirl.librarian
on 4/14/11 3:46 am
I just found out my insurance has an exception, so there is no way I can do this here unless I find a different job. I am now looking at going to Mexico. My bmi is 37 but I am diabetic and having difficulty controlling it. The idea of going abroad for surgery is new to me, and I am wondering what happens if something goes wrong. I wonder if my insurance won't pay for surgery, will they also not pay to treat future problems arising from it? Has anyone on here had surgery in MX a while ago (wondering what happened after a year or more). This is scary to even consider, but I feel like it's my last best option. I am thinking of RNY.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views