Booked Dr. Kelly 5/24/11

Heather T.
on 4/3/11 2:48 am
This is my first post regarding my situation.  I have been "lurking" around the forums for months reading and rereading everyones questions, expierences, and suggestions.  This helped me make my decision to use Dr. Kelly for my vertical sleeve procedure.  Well, let me be honest I even used the forum to confirm that I wanted the sleeve over the other procedures.

Without having insurance that covers any weight loss surgery I had to save my pennies to finally be able to have my new chance at life.  My weight snuck up on me and quickly and through many failed attempts to lose and keep it off here I am making--to me--one of the best decisions of my life.

I am a single mom who works and goes to school fulltime.  I had to work around many schedules to pick out a week that works for me.  I am happy to say that I graduate on May 14th, took vacation from work, and arranged for my sister to drive the 7 hours to my house and watch my kiddos.

Now if everything was that simple.  Friends and family think I went crazy for wanting to travel alone and even more so to travel out of the country to have a surgery.  I have heard it all and still I stay strong as I know that it's the choice for me. 

I do have to say that I am very lucky as a friend of mine decided that she wants to make the trip with me for support. We are going to travel a couple of days before the surgery to San Diego to actually get to see soem sights and "smell" some food as I will be on the liquid diet.  She actually said that if the surgery goes well with me (and it will) that she will think about making a trip when she graduates later this year.

About my expierence so far, I have contacted a dozen of agencies/doctors both in the United States and in Mexico.  Everyone was very eager to answer my questions and boy did I have lots of them.  After narrowing my choices down to 3 I started to research the doctors, the facilities, and whatever I could on the staff. This led me to Dr. Kelly. Not saying that I didn't think the other doctors were capable or the facilities were lacking.  It might be because I had more information about expierences on Dr. Kelly. 

As for the surgery I am not scared.  But my question to those that have had the surgery how did you deal with people who didn't know that you had the surgery and their comments? For example when someone sees that you are losing weight questions of "what is your secret?" or at Thanksgiving dinner or any dinner at that how do you get through them without people making comments about "not eating enough".  I know that I have some friends and some family that I am choosing to not tell about the procedure. In doing this I am aware that it is going to open up them speaking critically of my changed eating habits.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you all for posting your thoughts, questions, and expierences as they have aided me into changing my life. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/11 5:47 am, edited 4/3/11 5:50 am
No one knows I had weight loss surgery.  Not even my immediate family that lives with me.  It has been six years and no one has a clue.   What did I say when they asked me what my secret was, I said, " I am eating less and exercising."  That was the truth.  As far as the surgery I said it was for the  repair of a hiatal hernia.  That was also true.  As far as not eating enough, well, everyone is so busy stuffing their faces on holidays no one noticed.  If anyone ever asked I said, "I just wasn't that hungry".  Or you can always say I am on a diet and trying to lose weight so I can get healthy or why do you ask?   Also when I was on the liquid diet, again I said, "I am on a diet".  When people started saying (and they will) don't lose any more weight I said," my doctor wants me to lose x more pounds.  That shut them up. It actually was very easy.  Good luck and much success.

PS: Congrats on your schooling.  I was a divorced mom of two boys, working and putting myself through school many years ago.  It took forever, but I finally got my doctorate. 
Heather T.
on 4/3/11 11:00 am
Congratulations on your weight loss and your schooling. I know it is a very difficult task to accomplish.  It is worth it though.

I really like your tactics on stopping the comments. My favorite "My doctor wants me to lose X more pounds".  They can't argue with the medical opinion.  I just have some individuals who are great people but they overstep their boundries in my business.  I needed some examples on some polite but stern reasoning. 

Thank you!
oyekan
on 4/3/11 12:06 pm
Im so happy for you Heather T.  I pray your traveling, surgery and over all experienced be a blessed one!!   and Evil Twin I don't blame you for not telling.. sometimes things are better left  unsaid or unknown.. especially when you know the kind of ppl you're dealing with...

Have a great one guys.. 
Heather T.
on 4/7/11 3:13 am
Thank you oyekan!

My problem is that the few people that I have told I was having the surgery is taking it great. But when I say that I am going to have surgery in Mexico is when it turns from great to horrible.  I even have a friend who has had weight loss surgery in the past tell me not to go to Mexico for the procedure.   I feel confident in my choice.  I have done research on the doctor, the facility, and the area.  I wouldn't have booked if I didn't feel confident.  I do have a friend that is going to go with me while I have the procedure done. This seems to ease everyones mind.  I find it is hard beings I have some great friends who I trusted with the information of my plans saying some really negative things. I don't even think they realize what they are saying or doing. 

:(
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views