How long does it take to heal?

nueme
on 3/14/11 9:29 pm - dallas, TX

Hello,
I was just wondering how long does it take to heal after surgery?

walmartian
on 3/27/11 6:25 am, edited 3/27/11 6:26 am
Everyone is different, but I was sleeved on the 17th--felt like hell that day and night and half the next day, but did get up and walk around. By night of the second day, I felt pretty good. On the third day, when I transferred to the hotel, I actually felt great, enough to walk about a mile that afternoon. I also walked all over Revolution Ave. (hereafter to be known AS TOURIST tRAP ave, but still fun), and when I was in San Fransico waiting a couple of extra days before coming home, I also walked all over; I think all the walking helped more than anything.
When I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago, and not laproscopic, but full cut, my mother, who is near 80 and has had quite a few surgeries, gave me a hint--when you get ready to get out of bed the first time, don't 'take your time' or it will about kill you. Grab someones hand, sit up in one fairly fast motion, and swing around to dangle your legs, again pretty quick. Sit there a few minutes, then just--STAND UP. Yes it will hurt but will be voer with quickly, and you CAN handle it, though everyone else might be surprised.
It worked great for the hysterectomy with the massive surgical wound, and even better for this surgery.
In the past, visiting folks in the hospital, and this time too, I have seen many, many people who seemd to be in much  more pain than they should be, from taking a long time to make moves. I'm not saying that  it's the cause in all cases,of course, and again people are different.
Make sure to keep hydrated, and to wash your surgical site, and don't sneak and eat. those are things I know for a fact will make it worse if you don't follow directions. And if you do smoke, be aware that you will probably heal slower, due to decreased circulation, and other than quit there is nothing you can do about that part.

ETA-- My surgeon said to be careful to not, even when you feel much better, it will be around 6 weeks before your stomach will be fully healed, so be good and follow the diet plan.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views