x-post from VSG board, HSA question.. any tax experts?

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/11 8:25 am
 Just considering dipping into an unused HSA to cover part of the cost of my sleeve with Dr. Aceves. Anyone have any useful info? I know that I would need a letter of medical necessity, and have asked Nina from his office if he would be willing to provide this.. but any first hand knowledge of the ins & outs of the process would be great! Anytime anything to do with the IRS comes into play, I get a little nervous!

Also, anyone know if I can deduct the cost of my travel & my helper (husband?) I believe I may be SOL on that one from this little line in the tax code:

Transportation expenses you cannot include.

You cannot include in medical expenses the cost of transportation in the following situations.
  • Travel for purely personal reasons to another city for an operation or other medical care.

But then it seems this is a bit contradictory: 

Trips

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for transportation to another city if the trip is primarily for, and essential to, receiving medical services. You may be able to include up to $50 per night for lodging. See Lodging , earlier.

Maybe the "essential to" is the determining factor, I could get the sleeve less than 15 miles from my house, but I personally am choosing to go to MX??

Ugh, I hate tax law stuff, with a passion!!
So anyone have any first-hand knowledge of this stuff?

Thanks!!

jenni80
on 3/8/11 10:48 pm
In reference to tax deductions, I was able to use my surgery as a tax deduction because I filed itemized.  I was told if you file itemized you can use your surgery.  Hope this helps.

Jeanette  

Pattie_M
on 3/22/11 7:21 am - TX

I was able to use my surgery and the cost of my first class ticket to San Diego for a tax deduction, but could not use my husband's ticket.

Blessings,

Pattie

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views