Dr.Kelly 2/18/2011

wanttobeslim
on 3/8/11 12:52 am - TX
I had surgery with Dr.Ramos Kelly on 2-18-2011 at Florance Hospital in TJ Mexico. I booked my surgery with Sandy at a lighter me and her driver picked me up at Midnight the morning of surgery and took me to the hospital where Trish was waiting to meet me. I had all my testing early the next morning and went in for surgery at around 12;45 pm and everything went fine woke up in my room at around 3;00pm.I was in pain but not bad I just went back to sleep. I woke up later though and was in great pain and when I told the nurse she replied "didnt you know having surgery would hurt ?"and gave me NOTHING ! I was told she got in trouble because the 2 other girls there had the same problem with her and we all complained. I liked or should I say LOVED all the rest of the nurses and they all spoke English .
I have heard everyone talk about how Trish was always right there and so wonderfull ,but that was not the case with me. I saw her and Dr.Kelly the day of surgery and didnt see him again till Monday. When it was time to go get a leak test and have our drains removed she was very very late and Dr,Kelly's son just never showed up at all to remove the drains so the Dr on call did it. When his son did show up he was rude rude rude and Trish used the excuse he didnt speek english but that was a lie we heard him. After the leak test we were taken shopping but only to 2 stores where it was clear Trish had some under the table agreement with the shop keepers because my guest and me both understand spanish. She wouldnt take us anywhere but the places she wanted to go and I ask for a seperate ticket at every meal and never got it we somehow always had to pay through Trish and I know I got ripped off. I had also been told gatoraid,broth and jello would be provided but that wasnt true I had to walk to the store and get my own. Trish never showed up when she said or did what she promised . I cant say Trish was rude or mean because she wasnt she just couldnt seem to do what she was supposed to.
The last night there Trish and Dr.Kelly came to my room and we all sat down and chatted and that was nice and the upgraded hotel was so beautiful. I could not beleive Trish drove a VW bug and her job requires her to take overweight people to and from it was so uncomfortable.
Would I go and do it again ? Yes ! Would I change anything ? Yes! I ask in advance if I should pack myself things to eat and drink and was told no but now I know I should have. Maybe this was not the normal but it was my experience .

Sandy @ AlighterMe assured me she was going to make it up to me but that is yet to happen.
wlsurgeryorbust
on 3/10/11 9:45 am - Raleigh, NC
I am with you 100%!  I had surgery on 2/3/11 and my experience was similar.  I saw your post on vertical sleeve talk and how some people were "insulted" by your post and blah blah blah but you are not alone, my experience was not wonderful either.  Nevertheless, I am doing well and I hope you are too!
bscarpinato
on 3/15/11 12:50 am - bridgeport, TX
i had gastric sleeve march 4th with dr. kelly. i saw dr. kelly every day i was there. trish was busy but she checked on me daily. hospital nurse were really good, most spoke very good english except one young nurse. my postop pain was taken care of and i usually did not even have to ask they would bring nausea med and IV toradol around the clock.  beds are uncomfortable just typical hospital bed. the lucerna hotel was very nice. when i was taken to hotel i just gave trish money and asked her to get me gatorade, jello, supplies for dressing change. dr. kelly himself pulled my drain. as for shopping yes trish does get "a kickback" i am sure but i promise you all the shops in mexico are pretty much the same.   i basically had a good experience. speak up if something is not ok; but it is a different country not going to be exactly like usa hospital. i am a nurse and the care was very good. my favorite nurse was imelda she has been nurse for 18 ys. also everyday the inhouse dr would come by. even if dr. kelly not there , there is always a dr. available. my niece who came with me said the food was too healthy.
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/11 6:09 am
Its just like a relative visiting us. We take them to places we know or places we know someone. We're in a different country and I think its a great idea for someone in Trish's position to take us where she knows someone. I would feel really uncomfortable if I was taken somewhere by the person I've entrusted myself to, and they had no idea about the place. I'd feel more ripped off that way then taken to a place where everyone knows that person.
Jeni_In_Sarasota
on 3/17/11 4:22 am - Sarasota, FL
I had a wonderful experience with Dr.Kelly and Trish. I had my surgery at INT. I was given pain meds and taken care of around the clock. I was brought everything I needed. I couldnt of asked for anything more.

wanttobeslim
on 3/18/11 12:40 am - TX
Well I am glad for all those who had a great time and I understand those who didnt .
walmartian
on 3/27/11 7:01 am

I'm curious; what would you pack to eat--you are not supposed to eat right after this surgery. Just saying. Also, I don't understand why you would go to even a second store, or into a restaurant if you felt something funny was going on. And sorry, I have trouble believing Trish came to take you to 'every meal', because that involves what, riding down the elevator, and walking into the place. And I have seen truly big people fit into the new Beetle; it's not that tiny; I weigh over 300 and have no trouble getting in and out at all, and had ample room. No, it's not a Suburban, but you would have to deal with climbing into that also.
I think that you for some reason were grumpy  whatever reason and so were prone to staying cranky. I may be wrong but the experience you describe is so far off from what I experienced, and what I've seen in any other reviews anywhere, that I can't help feeling that way about these comments.

wanttobeslim
on 3/28/11 12:30 am - TX
Well you don't know me and you were not there so I don't understand how it if you feel the need to pass judgment. I don't reply anything negative where others post about their positive experiences so why bother me ? I ask ahead if I should  bring bottle water,broth,jello,etc before I left because you are allowed to have clear fluids after the leak test . The whole point of going to Mexico was because I couldn't afford the surgery in the US so I tried to save money by thinking ahead . I was told all that was provided to me at no extra charge so I didn't budget for that .As far as going with Trish what else was I going to do she was the ONLY person to take us anywhere . I am glad you had no problem getting in and out but I have knee problems so it was painful. I have spoke with Trish and Sandy and both agree that our situation was not the norm and have stepped up to try and make things right.

Anyhow I don't feel that it is right to say such ugly mean things to people like calling me a grumpy person because I didn't have the same great time you did. To me this is a place where we share the good and bad and all try to learn and get support from each-other. Not talk down to one another but all the same I hope things go well for you.

Lovevsg
on 4/17/11 2:25 pm
I was sleeved by Dr Kelly at the end of Febrary and I was very pleased with Dr Kelly and all the hospital staff. Everyone was great my husband and I were pleasantly surprised with everything considering the price was affordable. Also the other doctors were pleasant and someone always checked in and asked how I felt. I agree with Trish apparently having a deal with the store vendors since evrything seemed like the price was exagerated. Also she never gave me some papers she was supposed to. But oh well I was happy with everything else and I think the solution is for patients to window shop or avoid it. I believe the reason Dr Kelly wasn't around much during your stay was due to a family emergency he had and had to go out of town. I was sleeved a few days after and heard Trish mentioning that. I was very glad of my decision I felt he was a great surgeon and very pleasant.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views