Dr. Almanza vs Dr. Pompa Patients

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/11 6:55 am
Hello All,

I have choosen the VSG and I'm now 100% sure to have have the surgery in Mexico. I am new to this site and looking for more information regarding Dr. Almanza and Dr. Pompa.  I have seen on the message boards that many have choosen these two surgeon on many sites.   I'm still concerned and have fear of the facility and Death Rate being 1/200 as noted from Dr. Almanza website.  I have also been told that was a rate for people that had heart problems, which I have none.  I understand with all surgen there could be complications and we are taking the risks. So thank you for any info you can share on your thoughts or concerns. 

Jennifer

csanddex
on 2/21/11 1:25 pm
I went with almanza who does have some unhappy customers. I think if you read between the lines, many of the people with problems had some big risk factors going in such as smoking adding to the risks associated with surgery.

I got a lap band over bypass. I had my RNY in the states and my doctor here would not take smokers because they were nearly guaranteed complications. Complications can happen anywhere.

Ultimately you need to read everything and make your own determination. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Kimmes
on 2/21/11 8:46 pm
I have only heard good things about Dr Pompa - I did not use her - but have not heard or ready any negatives. I cannot say that about Dr Almanza but you can do your own research here - you will find many satisfied customers of his.

If you are going to TJ you may also wish to consider Dr Ramos-Kelly. He is the surgeon I used and he is excellent as well. If you want more information about my personal experience with him send me a private message.

You are doing the right thing by researching as this is a very important decision. My stay was in a wonderful hospital for 2 nights then a beautiful hotel -Lucerna for 2 nights. I have had no complications and am doing great! Best wishes on your journey!

Had VSG on Jan 6, 2011 with Dr. Jaime Ramos-Kelly
Start weight 239.8/Su
rgery Day 217.6/goal:155/Current Weight 144.0  I made it -Goal in less than 10 months

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/11 3:56 am
Okay so I just wanted to note from my posting that i have gotton a call from Dr. Almanza Office and the 1/200 Death Rate was an error from the webmaster and is being correct.  I was told that he has never lost a patient.

Jennifer
hollykim
on 2/22/11 11:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I used Dr. almanza and was pleased with my experience. there are people who have not been pleased just as there are people who have not been pleased with Dr. Pompa.

See my profile for my experience with pics. I have had absolutely no complications. I can eat and drink just fine and have been able to since i was cleared from my lkeak test.

do your research and go with your gut feeling. That will not lead you wrong.

good luck,
Holly

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/11 6:55 am
Every bariatric surgeon has lost a patient or two -- but you need to look at the reasons WHY they died.  IF it's because of complications due to (let's say) a previously undetected heart issue, that may be excusable.  If, however, the reason a patient has died is because of unsterilized hospital instruments or because of a leak that has been ignored (not overlooked) than THAT is a problem. 

I understand Dr. Almanza lost a Canadian patient (from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan) in January 2011 because of an ignored (not overlooked) leak.  I wonder if his clinic counts patients who have died AFTER they've left his clinic? 

jenni80
on 2/24/11 1:27 am
Hey hon, my surgeon was Dr.almanza and I had a good experience.  Researching and talking to as many people as you can about their experiences is the best thing you can do and then go with who you feel is best.  Being on this board for a while i have heard of these doctors,   Dr.Kelly, Dr.pompa, Dr.Rodriguez and people having good experiences with them.  They all have good prices and are in tj.  Dr.aceves is in Mexico and it sounds like his price is higher but I have heard good things about that Dr too.  just explore your options and ultimately decide what you feel is right and good for you. 

Jeanette  

pagg
on 3/4/11 2:32 am - Mt
Hi Jenni,

Could you tell me more about your experience with Dr. Almanza.  I have the plication scheduled with him.  I am a little nervous about it being at a clinic rather than a hospital.  However, the price is right...lol.  Did you take someone with you and if so, how were they treated during the night at the clinic?  Where did they sleep for that night?  Thanks so much for sharing
jenni80
on 3/8/11 10:52 pm
Hey hon, I sent you a friend request so you can view my profile.  I have a very detailed blog on there with lots of pictures.  The day after I had surgery, their were four women from canada who had the plication and seemed to do well with it.  If you have any other questions, please pm me.  :)

Jeanette  

Semmens5
on 5/5/11 4:53 am - Camrose, Canada
I am going to see Dr. Almanza as well, I was also wondering how your experience was, and how it was for the companion.  I am so nervous!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views