leaving mexicali tomorrow

karit222
on 2/11/11 6:06 am - St. Charles, IL
what can i say? this week has been surreal. I cannot believe how good i feel!
The doctors here are amazing. the nurses are so attentive and super nice. even just when changing a bandage... (i will give an official review when i get back home but much like e veryone - i really have nothing bad to say) 

relearning how to sip and not gulp has not been fun - but I'm becoming a real quick study... i prefer the warm broths and tea to the cold drinks

i totally miss my daughter and tomorrow cannot get here fast enough.  for anyone travelling alone - it is bearable - just be sure you have multiple ways for communicating with loves ones. my tmobile phone works in certain areas but being able to email has been a blessing when my phone wont connect.

So excited to finally be starting my own personal journey - so all you losers... make some room on the bench for me!!!

Love, Kari

auntkk1111
on 3/1/11 2:24 pm
Hi Kari!!! 
I'm going to Tijuana, Mexico for my surgery.  I'm very nervous about surgery in another country and I'm guessing by the title of your post that you had your surgery there also???  If you don't mind me asking, what doctor did you have and how are things going now?  :)  
Thanks,
Katie
karit222
on 3/1/11 10:48 pm - St. Charles, IL
Hi Katie,

I saw Dr. Alberto Aceves at Hospital Almater in Mexicali. He has a page on OH and the reviews of him are nothing short of spectacular, and I could not agree more. His bedside manner was so caring and his staff is incredibly attentive. Everything that I had read was true. The driver was at the airport in San Diego waiting for me, the border crossings in and out were a breeze and I never felt unsafe at any time. A lot of the other reviews of Dr. Aceves say that they have never received better care in the US and I have to say I agree. The entire staff at Almater is just wonderful.  I'm not sure if you are set on your choice in Tijuana, but if you are still researching doctors, I highly recommend Dr. Aceves and his staff.

I had Lap RNY and am doing great. I have been home for just over two weeks and each day gets better. I have recently progressed to the pureed foods stages and while it's still a struggle to get past my mind's hunger (it still thinks a stack of pancakes at IHop is a great idea...) I have been very successful in finding lots of recipes online to keep my taste buds happy.  Below is a blog that I found online and her recipes are invaluable (especially for the pureed phase.).

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Do your research and you will make the best choice for you. I chose not to tell a lot of people where I was going and once they found out they were like "are you f-ing crazy?"  A lot of people have called me crazy, some have called me brave. I think it was a little of both but mostly it was the right time and choice for me. I was at wits end and needed to make the change for my health.  Even though my incisions are still healing and I'm only 3 weeks out - this is something that I would certainly do again and I wouldn't change my mind about Dr. Aceves either.  All in all, my experience has been good and uneventful.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Kari

theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ 

auntkk1111
on 3/1/11 11:18 pm
Thank you for such a quick response Kari!!!! 
Your positive experience has definately set my mind at ease!!!!  I'm glad you are doing so well!!!!  I started the liver shrinking diet 3 weeks ago and still have until the 17th to be on it..... I can TOTALLY relate to how great of an idea the plate of pancakes from IHOP sound!!!!   I also have decided not to discuss with anyone where I am going.  I told 2 of my closest friends and their reactions were not very positive.  I'm fortunate enough that my mom is going with me and she is very supportive.  I just hope she stays that way when it gets close to the 17th. :)  Also, thank you for sharing the blog address!!!! Very helpful!!! :)       Well, I'm anxious to hear more about your progress and how you are doing so please feel free to message me any time!  Congrats on the new lifestyle change and I wish you the best!!!!
~Katie
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1835 views