Acid reflux/Barrets esophagus

ragazzamagra
on 1/27/11 10:35 pm
I plan on having my vsg in mexico in just about a week and a half and I gave the dr all my medical info. I said I have acid reflux but I started thinking oh yeah I was also diagnosed with Barrets and now Im reading alot of stuff on here that vsg makes acid reflux worse and I keep thinking he wont do it now which he shouldnt if it does make it worse but I dont want RNY  even though I know it can sometimes stop your acid reflux. is there anything a dr can do to fix it with a vsg. i thought they could fix the hiatel hernia?
Emily F.
on 1/28/11 5:51 am
These would be questions for your surgeon. You really need to call him/her and discuss it.
rnangieo
on 1/29/11 7:57 am
I also have Barrett's esophagus, probably from all of the horrible reflux I had when my band was too tight. I was told that I will need an endoscopy yearly by my GI doc. Had VSG on 1/24, and my surgeon seems to think that the problem will actually improve with the VSG. Before surgery, I only took a PPI as needed (rarely), and have had no reflux as of yet since surgery. I haven't started the prescribed PPI's yet, but will soon.
Kfree
on 2/12/12 3:23 am
Hi there,

I also had Barrett's and my Mexican Surgeon would only do Bypass.  Dr. Corvalla.  I decided on bypass and I am so happy I did.  I have no more acid reflux and they said that Bypass is recommeded for acid reflux.  It may even have saved my life.  Plus I am loosing weight!!  I am a happy camper.

Kfree
diamondranch1
on 1/29/11 11:51 am - San Felipe, Mexico
Dr. Aceves fixed my hiatus hernia when I had my VSG done and he didn't charge extra, some drs. may, so be sure to ask.. I am on Nexium for the next 6 months. Good Luck with your surgery!eli

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1835 views