preop advice based on my experience (kinda long)

mamiej
on 1/6/11 10:59 pm - brighton, TN

Recenlty someone asked if I had any pre-op suggestions for surgery in Mexico. I just thought I'd post it as a general posting in case it might help someone else. I don't want to sound like a know it all, I absolutely don't know everything.  If anyone else would like to contribute that would be great because I am sure that I have missed things. I wish good luck to all those that go after me. I am so thrilled to have joined the losers bench and even though I have a long way to go, I am excited to be on my way! :)

Congratulations on your decision to change your life.

Do you have someone going with you? My husband went with me and it made me a lot more comfortable. It's ok if you don't because the staff are all very nice. If you need help all you have to do is press your button and they will be right there. That being said here are a few suggestions.

1.  Take Gas X strips (not pills, make sure strips). They really help with the post op gas pain. You can't really overdose on Gas X so take it if you need it.
2.  Take a heating pad. I forgot mine and was very very sad to have forgotten it.
3.  when they offer you juice they will bring you capri sun. Save the straw and use it to drink the blue dye when they do your leak test.  It made it easier for me anyway. This will be yucky but you can get through it.
4.  Above all, remember that you are not in the USA so things may seem a little different, but different does not mean bad. I am in the medical profession and if I didn't feel comfortable I would have left. Everyone seemed to be very caring and sweet. I honestly think they were nicer than some medical offices I've been to in the states.
5.  I know that this is going to seem repetitive, but walk walk walk walk walk. The more you can walk the better. This helps to move the gas out and make you more comfortable. Laying in a hospital bed just makes you feel yucky. The more you can move around the better. Plus, and this is a BIG plus, walking around can help to prevent blood clots.
6.  Ask what they are putting in your IV. During the first night they gave me Ultram which I am slightly allergic to. It doesn't kill me (obviously) but gives me migraine type headaches and nausea. I think I missed that on my long list of allergies so it's probably my fault.  The next time they came in I asked and they told me Ultram and I told them to please give me something else. 7.  The clinic and the house have wifi so if you have an IPAD, IPOD touch or lap top, they are really nice to have.
8.  Do you speak spanish at all? If you do, use it when you can. Most (not all) of the staff speaks english. Some very well, some less so, but they definitely seemed to appreciate my efforts at speaking to them in their language. Some of them don't speak English, but like I said most do. If you don't speak spanish at all, you could take a spanish english dictionary.   This is just my suggestion. Like I said, you shouldn't have any problems communicating with most of the staff and they will quickly get you an english speaking person if they don't understand.
9.  We came in the night before and stayed @ the Hampton Inn. I didn't want to risk my flight being late and having trouble @ the airport in San Diego when trying to hook up with the driver. We also allowed an extra night @ the other end in case I had any issues but also just to get to relax in San Diego. They took us up really early that day and the Hampton Inn allowed us to check in early. We went to the mall and a movie and I walked and walked. It felt so good to not be confined by four walls. :)

downsouthsweetie
on 1/10/11 8:38 am
Thanks for posting. My big day is on the 24th and this was helpful.
jenni80
on 1/11/11 1:42 am
thanks for this, my bestie is having her surgery this spring so i can print this and give it to her.  very informative.  i didn't get the ultram because i am allergic and had two seizures when i took it before so they had to give me something else.  the most important thing is to let them know what you can and cant take when they do the um i don't know what that's called but write all your past history info, surgeries, meds you take. 

Jeanette  

mamiej
on 1/11/11 2:13 am - brighton, TN
I could have sworn I gave it to them in my list of allergies, but I have A LOT of allergies, so maybe I missed it. Luckilly it just gives me a really bad headache (like migraine). No seizures for me. :)

Hope that this helps your bestie! :)

Sunny702
on 8/4/11 6:08 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I have no idea what Ultram is ... but I hope I'm not allergic to it. I have never been in the hospital (with the exception of having my daughter)so this is DEF going to be an experience for me.
jenni80
on 1/11/11 6:23 am
Oh i was just talking about newbies, not you.lol

Jeanette  

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views