Need referrals for MX RNY Dr

indygirl
on 12/30/10 2:24 pm - indianapolis, IN
Insurance has decided to exclude WLS for the new year and my husband is in great need to have this surgery.  He has decided upon the RNY.  I support his decision and we are considering a trip to MX to make it happen.  I know many of you have gone to MX for sleeves, bands, and PS, but who would you refer/ recommend for me to research for the surgery?  My husband has a starting weight of over 400lbs.  Also, did you cash pay or finance your surgery.  Im a bit concerned about going to MX, but Im more concerned about not having him around if he doesn't have a medical intervention. Thanks in advance for your replies/ information.
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/10 11:10 pm

With that much weight, maybe a DS would serve him best? I hear quality of eating is much better with the DS anyhow. I was looking at RNY when I first started but some amazing people pointed me towards DS. I figure I'd pay it forward. I had mine with Dr Ungson , he was a godsend. Any questions email me or check out dsfacts.com
indygirl
on 12/31/10 9:37 am - indianapolis, IN
We started off considering the DS for that reason and I think maybe we should revisit it.  Thank you for your input and I've also heard great things about Dr. Ungson.
Emily F.
on 12/31/10 1:37 am
Look into Ungson and Aceves. I already posted on the mb so I don't want to bore you anymore! Good luck.
diamondranch1
on 1/1/11 2:57 pm - San Felipe, Mexico
Hi! I was sleeved on 12/6 by Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. We own a home in Mexico and live part time in Canada. He was definitely worth the trip, no worries about my doctor or the hospital. My husband was very impressed, you could eat off the floor in the hospital if I could have eaten. Also a major role on your part is making sure you are not going to a certain doctor in Mexico because he's cheaper. Do your research, I paid more for my doctor and will never regret a penny of it, success is the key and I have heard some horror stories about some drs. in Mexico. They have excellent follow up too......questions after surgery, always someone to answer by email. I am staying down here to do my 3 month check and then go back to Canada. Good Luck to your hubby!
ps they will pick you up at the San Diego airport and you are allowed to bring a companion with you for support. You stay the full 4 days in the hospital which was important to me. Some doctors send you to a recovery house or a hotel.......I want a nurse at my beck and call after major surgery.
E C.
on 1/1/11 9:36 pm
dlayton603
on 1/4/11 1:10 am - Raleigh, NC
Dr. Joya did my surgery (RNY) on 12/17/2010. I just got back from Mexico on 12/23/10 and everything went great. For $12500.00 you get airfare, hotel (resort) on the beach and hospital/ surgery.  Once you pay the $1000.00 deposit, you get a packet the explains everything to a T.  The only surprise I had was that Mexicans don't use wash clothes.  I had to take a bath with a sock.  It makes for a very funny story.  If you want to e-mail me with questions, please feel free: [email protected]  Donna
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/9/11 8:35 am - Mexico
On December 30, 2010 at 10:24 PM Pacific Time, indygirl wrote:
Insurance has decided to exclude WLS for the new year and my husband is in great need to have this surgery.  He has decided upon the RNY.  I support his decision and we are considering a trip to MX to make it happen.  I know many of you have gone to MX for sleeves, bands, and PS, but who would you refer/ recommend for me to research for the surgery?  My husband has a starting weight of over 400lbs.  Also, did you cash pay or finance your surgery.  Im a bit concerned about going to MX, but Im more concerned about not having him around if he doesn't have a medical intervention. Thanks in advance for your replies/ information.

As long as you stick with the better cities it is very safe.  Right now the MX,  US, and Canadian gov'ts are warning about Tijuana and Juarez the most.  Just avoid those cities and you should be good to go.

I'd think long and hard about surgery type, he has to live with this the rest of his life.  I'm not malabsorption material,  I am just not responsible enough to take all the vites. ;o)  So I am lucky that I am good to go with restriction alone.

Check out my blog for how to research a MX or US surgeon:

wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/2010/03/researching-mexican-or-us-sleeve.html

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views