Dr Aceves Experience is beyond Superior

shendricks
on 12/18/10 8:18 am - Wolf Point, Mt
Ok, first things first....Thanks to all of my OH family for your support, prayers and thoughts during before and after my surgery.  Now for my journey story.

My husband was very apprehensive about going to Mexico for my procedure.  Now not for the reasons you might think, he was fine with the hospital and surgeon.  He was more worried about being shot in a drive by, by the Mexican drug cartel.  LOL, we didn't see any gun weilding bandits while we were there.   We were picked up at the airport and driven to the hospital (Almater) by Ernesto for preop testing, chest xray and initial paperwork. Then taken to a 5 star hotel where we had a fantastic last dinner experience with my sleeve mate Zach and his wife Christina.  Then next day we were taken back to the hospital and 3 doctors came in to see us each for about 30-60minutes.  The anestiologist spent a ton of time explaining every step of what he would do to keep me comfortable and even agreed to take pictures of my removed stomach and some of the procedure (gross huh, but I am a Nurse Practitioner so I think that it is kinda cool).  The Internal medicine doctor (Dr Campos) came in and did a physical examination and cleared me for surgery and then Dr Aceves came in a counseled on surgery expectations, post op instructions, diet and answered any last minute questions.

I was the first to go back was moved to the OR and my IV was started and I truely do not remember another thing until I was waking up in the recovery room.  The first 36-48 hours after surgery, the nurses gave routine injections of antinausea medication and pain medication whether I ask for it or not ( I think this went along way in my being completely pain free) after this time I was given oral medications as I asked for them.  I have not required anything stronger than liquid tylenol since 4 days after surgery.  The facility was so clean that you could have eaten off of the floors.  The doctors made rounds 3-4 times a day and spent time making sure that all of your questions were answered and that you were being well cared for.

3 days after surgery we were taken back to San Diego to catch a plane home to Montana.  We left Mexicali at 7am and we arrived in Montana at 1130pm no trouble with travel at all.  Never required a wheel chair.  The next day we spent all day shopping and I was a bit sore but nothing that tylenol wouldn't handle.  Finding appropriate first foods for stage one liquids is a pain when traveling so be sure to take crystal light packets and some sort of broth packets/bullion cubes.

Some unexpected surprises-  1. I got a shot of Lovenox (blood thinner) prior to surgery to help to prevent blood clots.  Very important.  What I didn't really think about, is that if you are still having periods between the stress of surgery and the Lovenox you will likely start and let me tell you if was the mother of all periods.  2. I am amazed that I am not in the least bit hungry.  Not even a little bit.

I am home now and am so very thankful to my Lord Jesus that I have had such an uneventful surgery procedure and recovery.  I am also thankful for all of the support and friends that I have made on OH. 

For anyone who is considering going to Mexico for surgery I would highly recommend Dr Aceves and the Mexicali Bariatric Clinic.  I am a Nurse Practitioner and have practiced in many US hospitals during my career and can tell you that I got as good (if not better care) in Mexicali as I would have gotten in any US facility.

Sharon

Kimmes
on 12/18/10 10:56 pm
 Sharon,

Congrats on your surgery!  I am so happy to read of your positive experience!  I have only heard wonderful reviews about Dr Aceves and staff.  I am glad that you are safely home and you and your hubby did not have any run-ins the drug cartel (lol!).

My you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year - 2011 will be a great year - enjoy your journey!

Kim

Had VSG on Jan 6, 2011 with Dr. Jaime Ramos-Kelly
Start weight 239.8/Su
rgery Day 217.6/goal:155/Current Weight 144.0  I made it -Goal in less than 10 months

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

jenni80
on 12/19/10 10:14 am
Yay, congrats on having a great surgery.  Its wonderful to be on the other side. 

Jeanette  

E C.
on 12/19/10 11:59 am
shendricks
on 12/22/10 1:32 am - Wolf Point, Mt
Priscilla-  I am so glad to hear that everything is back on track for you.  I had such a super experience, most of which I attribute to the power of Jesus and Prayer ( had a hundred prayer warriors who were really worried about me having surgery in Mexico).  However, not enough can be said about Dr A's team.   They are definately the "A" team.  Stay in touch would love to hear about your journey.   Merry Christmas  Sharon

E C.
on 12/22/10 9:57 am
shendricks
on 12/23/10 5:33 am - Wolf Point, Mt
Priscilla-  Ugg sorry to hear that the staph is back, hopefully this course will get it taken care of.  I feel great!  I am so excited to get to tommorrow where I can have full liquids and cream soup, yum.  The 6th will be here before you know it, especially with the holiday celebrations.  Hope you have as great of experience as I did.  Sharon
E C.
on 12/23/10 7:15 am
Pattie_M
on 12/23/10 7:48 am - TX
Sharon, congratulations on your surgery.  Your journey to Mexico was the same as mine.  I simply loved Dr. Aceves and his staff.  They are ALL excellent.

Life is good and I love my sleeve.  I was taking four medications before surgery but I no longer take any of them. Each day gets better and better.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.

God bless you!

Pattie

shendricks
on 12/23/10 11:10 am - Wolf Point, Mt
Pattie- Thanks so much, I too was taking some medication pre-op and now that I am home and not suppose to take whole medications right now my PCP says "well lets stay off of them and see what happens with your weight loss".  Am down 12.5 lbs in 10 days, I can't hardly believe it.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well and all God's blessings in your upcoming year!

Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views