Theft in Mexico Hospitals?

MsPoolShark
on 12/9/10 11:32 pm - Toronto, Canada
Hi everyone,

I leave tomorrow and am having DS with Dr. Ungson on Monday. I've heard rumors here and there that things can go 'missing' from your personal belongings. I'm a little concerned about this because I'm going alone and won't have a friend/family member to watch my things for me.

I want to bring my laptop because I'm arriving 2 days before my surgery and am in the hospital for 5 days plus another 4 days at the hotel afterwards. I understand that in the hospital I'll likely be sleeping a lot but still want to have my laptop for when I'm at the hotel. I'm just worried that it will get stolen though. Or maybe the cash I'm carrying will get stolen.

Has anyone had any firsthand experience with this?

Thanks
Legacylc
on 12/10/10 10:11 am - Fairfax, VA
 Hi I had surgery with Dr Joya in Puerto Vallarta. Although my hubby went with me he sometimes went to the hotel or to get something to eat. I had my ipad and other belongings in my little hospital locker in the room. No one really payed any attention to it. I do have someone that I am friends with that went by herself as well and she did fine. 

You dont have anyone that is willing to travel with you not for theft, but just a hand holder? I hope you have a very uneventful smooth surgery.

Take care

MsPoolShark
on 12/10/10 1:06 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the response. It sets my mind at ease.

I'd love to have a hand-holder going with me but unfortunately don't have anyone in my life to fill that role right now so it's just me. I've chatted with other people that went alone though and they seemed to make out ok.
Legacylc
on 12/10/10 1:22 pm - Fairfax, VA
 Well I can offer you a virtual hand hold. Someone did that for me and gave me a piece of mind. We went to the same doctor and she encouraged and supported me my whole way through.

PM me anytime my need to talk lady.

MsPoolShark
on 12/10/10 11:37 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thank you so much. That's sweet.

I'm no longer worried about theft so am pretty sure I'll take my laptop with me. It's just going to depend on how much my suitcase weighs. Shouldn't be a problem though cause I'm not taking that much.
Emily F.
on 12/10/10 11:04 pm
We gave our stuff to the coordinator and she put in our room. Ungson's hospital is private so there are not many people there so I bet your room will be ready before you even go into surgery. Ask Luz about it. We had no problems. The nurses were very nice and like I said I think there was only 3 people in the floor that week I was there last April.
MsPoolShark
on 12/10/10 11:32 pm - Toronto, Canada
Awesome. I actually had an email back from Luz late last night where she said there is a safe in Dr. Ungson's office that I can put my purse and stuff in. She said that's what most patients do.

I love what you just told me about how few people were on the floor though cause that's reassuring too. I already know that I'm his only surgery on Monday so the floor probably won't be too busy again.

I'm leaving for the airport in 3.5 hrs
Emily F.
on 12/12/10 8:52 am
On December 11, 2010 at 7:32 AM Pacific Time, MsPoolShark wrote:
Awesome. I actually had an email back from Luz late last night where she said there is a safe in Dr. Ungson's office that I can put my purse and stuff in. She said that's what most patients do.

I love what you just told me about how few people were on the floor though cause that's reassuring too. I already know that I'm his only surgery on Monday so the floor probably won't be too busy again.

I'm leaving for the airport in 3.5 hrs
 Hey, hope everything went well!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to hear the update!
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views