Newbie, in research mode

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/10 10:46 am
Hello! I have been following the forum for a while now and just joined. I am getting more serious about having my weight loss procedure done in MExico and I've followed almost everyones Drs. One thing I can't seem to find is follow ups. What are you doing when you get back to the states? I saw some posts that Drs here won't see someone who had a surgery in Mexico. Is that true? Am I to factor in planning trips to MExico for care?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
hollykim
on 12/5/10 11:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Hey,
Welcome to the forum and the site. Most of us make arrangements with our PCP's before we make our trips for follow up care. Many surgeons will take patients who have had their surgeries nelsewhere,including Mexico. You will usually have to pay their program fee,but really,unless,you are having serious complications,a baritric surgeon for follow-up is unnecessary.

My endocrinologost follows up with my labs and my PCP will also follow up.

You will read various opinions and scare tactics from people on other forums here who haven't even been to Mexico,much less had their surgery there. Be sure to do your research, and make an educated decision.

Are you uninsured or is there an exclusion on your insurance? People will tell you that your insurance won't cover for any complications but that is not true. Many problems that happen after weight loss surgery can also happen to people who have never had weight loss surgery. Your insurance would have to prove that the complication was isolated to you and to your WLS before they can deny it. They can't prove it cause there are many non WLS people who will have had the same issues.

What surgery are you looking at?

Good luck on your journey and check out the other boaeds esp. for the surgery type you are considering.
Good luck,
Holly

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/10 11:46 am
Hello, thank you for your response. I am considering the sleeve. Is there a lot of follow up care? I'm not a debbie downer but what if I get sick after I get back? Do I go to like the ER here? I do have insurance, just doesn't cover a surgery.
Emily F.
on 12/6/10 9:52 am
What is your surgery? That would influence what follow up is needed.
julieb7525
on 12/7/10 12:38 am - Ocean Springs, MS
Revision on 01/14/15
I told my regular physician that I was having my surgery in Mexico and he said he would follow up with me the 2 days after I get back. He said he would do labs and check my incisions, however if there were complications he would refer me to a bariatric doctor and he said they dont like to see you, but they will. I have surgery on Friday and fly home Monday, my doctor wants to see me Wednesday. I have insurance (Aetna) with a WLS exclusion.

Legacylc
on 12/10/10 10:17 am - Fairfax, VA
 Hi I had the sleeve as well. There isnt much follow up care just labs to make sure everything is fine. My dr actually followed up with e-mails and his dietitian did as well. My primary care has been doing my labs every 3 months we have a good relationship and due to my vitamin d being low prior to surgery. It was something that came up on my annual labs nothing serious. You should do well. As long as you have a primary care dr. that is support all is fine..

I did find a support group meeting locally as well and use this site often. It is good at the support group meetings to bounce experiences off of one another ( when the DS patients dont take over).

I have learned that they are completly different experiences due to their malabsorption.

Take care and just do your research and follow your gut. No pun intended 

All the best.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views