Lap Band help.

RollTideRoll
on 12/1/10 7:50 am - Montgomery, AL
Soooo, I finally got to visit my new bariatric surgeon today. He's really really nice and very comfortable to be around. He looked at the X-Ray from Dr. Almanza (which was dated back to September 2009) and he said that it looked okay, but it was a little too high. BUT the last time that I had an X-Ray to see where the lapband was so that I could get a fill, my fill doctor could barely access it due to the fact that it was tilted.

My new bariatric surgeon wants me to go to two classes that talks about lapbands and then the final decision is up to me. I have a decision to get it completely taken out, which comes with risks and causes a little weight gain. My other choice is for him to check out my lapband and see if he can do anything to get it to work better. I have a lot to think about, but I will keep you guys informed!
Love always,
Amanda
Boscogirl
on 12/2/10 12:02 am - TX
Have you lost weight with it???
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
RollTideRoll
on 12/2/10 12:17 pm - Montgomery, AL
Nopee.. but I wasn't really informed completely about the band. I didn't know that there was a risk to chewing gum, taking big pills, and eating popcorn and peanuts. But he really believes that he can make it work for me. The only thing keeping me losing a little bit of weight, is my prescription for Fortamet.
Boscogirl
on 12/2/10 12:30 pm, edited 12/2/10 12:31 pm - TX
I wish you all the best with it....you have a long life ahead of you and you would feel so great to get the weight off.  Is it an option for you to get him to revise you to a sleeve?  So many people have problems with the band and even if it works initially you will most likely have trouble down the road.
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
Emily F.
on 12/4/10 10:09 pm
those are the only options he gave you?? I would consider going to a surgeon that also does the sleeve so you can make an informed decision. This doc obviously doesn't do the sleeve so he is not going to recommend it.

Go to a surgeon that does band and sleeve.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views