My surgery experience, Nov 17th 2010

jenni80
on 11/24/10 12:47 am
Ok its been a week and I think I should post my experience now while its still fresh.  I have been researching wls for about 15 mos and decided on having surgery in tj with dr.almanza. I had surgery Nov 17th which was also my 9 year wedding anniversary so it was a very special day.  me and my hubby got to our hotel tuesday evening.  we stayed at the ramada which i wasnt too crazy about but the hampton inn was all full.  i was soooooooooooooooo nervous and called my daughter while we were sitting at the airport waiting for our driver wed morning and i started crying.  it was a bad case of nerves.  I met the other person steve having the vsg surgery at the airport too.  me and my husband were early so we waited for a while and then the clinica jerusalem van pulls up with tony driving and severo in the passenger. severo told us all about the surgery on the way to tj, explained his surgery story. They took us into tj and we stopped at one place to have blood drawn and that place was kind of weird.  my husband told me later he was going to tell me hell no if i was having surgery there.lol  anyways so we show up to the clinic and fill out paperwork.  The nurse took me in to have a ekg.  the older gentelman who gives the ekg's is so sweet.  It turned out good.  They took me upstairs and after i got into my gown, lupita the very sweet day nurse came in and put in my iv and those compression stocking things and my hair net.  me and my hubby sat and waitied in our room watching tv.  there were quite a few channels in english so that was great.  a guy there named juan came in and talked to me about his own vsg he had 12 weeks prior and had lost 47lbs.  he was so funny and nice and just made me feel alot more relaxed at that point.  then came in dr.almanza and a guy with a camera type phone.  i guess it would be for legal purposes but dr.almanza went over the details of my surgery.  Juan helped with a question i had but for the most part i understood what dr.almanza said to me.  we took pictures and then they left.  my hubby felt a little better at this point but was still nervous cause its not like when you have surgery in the US at all.  Its alot more personable.  Anways they came and got me for surgery, my surgery was at 12:00 pm, i was the first surgery, i remember laying on the table and the anesthesiologist asked me about my prior surgeries, i named off one and then all of a sudden i was looking at my husband.  he said i was walked back into our room by two guys and lupita.  i fell asleep for a few hours and then thats when i started getting sick.  i dry heaved for about 14 hours.  it was horrible and i was regretting things at that point.  There were 2 guys who were night nurses and i had a call button.  everytime i pushed my call button they were right there and i pushed it alot.lol   The next day around noonish i was feeling alot better but weak.  They told us we were going to the recovery house and we left.  It was great when we got to the recovery house.  Its so cute and nice and there is a cook and a nurse there who were so wonderful to me and my husband.  he was fed all kinds of great food and i was giving my meds when i needed them.  they chart them at the recovery house too.  severo stayed with us at nighttiime and i couldnt sleep that first night so he gave me a sleeping pill and it helped alot.  the next day after the sleeping pill effects wore off I had way more energy so tony came and took me and my husband shopping and to the pharmacy.  he was a great driver and very careful driving us around as to not hit bumps or potholes.  tj is a shocker to see if you havent been there but never once did i feel unsafe.  The recovery house is in a gated community and is really nice but alot of tj isnt nice.  after shopping on friday we went back to the recovery house and the 4 woman from canada were there.  they were really sweet and nice and one was in her room having alot of nausea.  it was nice having them and steve to talk to .  i was able to have my drain taken out friday evening.  i closed my eyes and didn****ch.  i really didnt feel it coming out, it didnt hurt or anything but my husband watched and said it was the weirdest thing he had ever seen.  On saturday tony came by at 9 am to take us to the airport and we got thru the border so fast.  It was nice because they just put in a medical lane to cross back into the US.  we got to the san diego airport early and it was packed but luckily i put in a request for wheelchair assistance and we breezed past everyone.  im glad i did too because i was feeling weak and tired.  I had a hard time flying home.  i wanted to see my kids, i was tired and the stewardess was irritating me on the first flight.  when we switched planes in oakland and were an hour from landing i felt better.   All in all I can definately say I had a really great experience.  It was scary at first because you can prepare yourself forever and you will never really know what surgery is like until you have it and i dont care what surgery you have, surgery sucks, its painful and makes you feel like crap.  My surgery in mexico was just as good and better than some i have had in the US. The staff at the clinic and recovery house were great, they knew what they were doing.  They always wore gloves and our driver was always on time and prompt and just making sure me and my husband were taken care of.  I know there have been alot of problems people have had in the past and i really feel like these problems have been heard and are being addressed.  my best friend is going to have surgery in feburary now and im going with her for support.  Im doing great so far.  I am getting in around 60oz of liquids and even though they taste like crap I have been drinking those protien shooters from gnc just so i can get all my protien in quickly.  I also have lost 19.2 lbs.  I am soooooooooooooooo happy I am sleeved and just hope it gets better and better from here.   For any newbies who have any questions feel free to pm me.  I also will be posting pictures of my experience on my profile page.

Jeanette  

bigisbad
on 11/24/10 1:15 am - Canada, Canada
Great detailed post.
I am so glad things seemed to have changed.
I think the worst time was back in March to May...
Keep it up and welcome to the other side!
TR

latasha31x
on 11/24/10 1:36 am - morganfield, KY
Glad to hear your experience was great!!!!Congrats and best wishes to u
rere49
on 11/24/10 8:39 am
VSG on 05/15/08 with
So glad you are ok. Welcome to the Loser's Bench!!
LAX11
on 11/24/10 9:02 am
Hi there, you described it perfectly with all the personal attention.

so glad you're on the other side!

all the best "watching" Thankgiving...

I LOVE My VSG!                5'6" SW/222  CW/169 GW/150
N H.
on 11/24/10 11:37 am - FL
Jeanette,

It's so good to hear from you!  HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

I am so glad to hear that you are doing well. I hope that Dr. Almanza is on his way to repairing the whole practice reputation.

Take care, Nancy
                                          Pre Op-Surgery-Current-Goal
                                            232  -    213   -  153 - 150

5'4" tall
Stage 1 Plastics 10/20/10 with Dr. Adrian Menjarrez-Mexicali
Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck    
Kimmes
on 11/25/10 12:57 am
 Jenni -

I am so happy you are recovering well!  19 lbs is amazing.  You have lots to be thankful for today!  I am so happy you documented all the details for your surgery and stay.  I am not using Dr Almanza but have read several recent posts and experiences and can honestly say that he was one of my top 3 choices.  I am going to TJ on Jan 6th for surgery with Dr Ramos-Kelly.  I anticipate a similar experience and am looking forward like an excited child for 2011.

Best wishes to you and your family this holiday season!  2011 is going to be a great year for all of us.  Your on your way to goal... just think of how many jean sizes your are going to blow through in 2011.  Congrats and Happy Thanksgiving!

Had VSG on Jan 6, 2011 with Dr. Jaime Ramos-Kelly
Start weight 239.8/Su
rgery Day 217.6/goal:155/Current Weight 144.0  I made it -Goal in less than 10 months

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

greenbaygirl
on 11/25/10 11:33 am - Hobart, WI
Hey girl,

I am so happy things went good for you.  Congratulations on being a loser!  Hang in there, after the first 4 weeks it gets wayyyyy easier.  Good Luck and Happy Anniversary!
Jean

Anew Start
on 11/29/10 4:51 am
Hey Girl..I haven't been on here in awhile, but I'm so happy for you and glad to hear you're doing well.  Keep it up!

mamiej
on 11/29/10 6:12 am - brighton, TN
I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Almanza on December 18th.  I have been so very nervous and hadn't been able to find anyone with information about him specifically. Thank you so very much for all of your detailed information. This has really eased my mind.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views