Think I'm choosing Dr. Verboonen in Tj

gumbyhead920
on 11/16/10 12:53 pm, edited 11/16/10 12:54 pm
Hi everyone -
I am still in the process of researching doc's, but am thinking I will go to Dr. Verboonen in Tj. Anyone want to share their experience with Dr. Verboonen wtih me? Any suggestions on the best way to research the doc's? I am going with LB. All help appreciated!

Shanna
Shanna
diamondranch1
on 11/16/10 2:39 pm - San Felipe, Mexico
Hi Shanna

I am having my sleeve surgery on Dec. 6th in Mexicali and researched the doctors in Mexico. I don't know the name Dr. Verboonen but a couple of things were really important to me. How much experience was the most important not the price.
I have Dr. Aceves doing my surgery, check him out too.

greenbaygirl
on 11/16/10 3:39 pm, edited 11/16/10 3:40 pm - Hobart, WI
Hi Shanna,

It's your decision, but please do more research on the band.......there are hundreds of people on here who have had it, and to remove it only to have the sleeve anyway. It is an additional expense to have it removed, plus you have to start over. I, like many people started out thinking I wanted the lap band, but after hearing so many people with issues and fills/unfills, decided to go with the sleeve. BEST decision I ever made. There is NO aftercare or any additional appointments needed once you have the sleeve, you're done! Nearly ALL lap bands slip or erode within 7 years according to research. Good luck whatever you decide, just trying to save you some heartache down the road.

MARIA F.
on 11/18/10 12:57 pm - Athens, GA

NEVER would I have gotten the band if I knew then what I know now!!! Please visit the Revision Forum and see for yourself how many ppl are revising FROM the band!!!

I have had mine just over a yr. and had 14 fills.......still no restriction/sweet spot! It has been a complete waste of money! Now I need a revision...........(TO ANYTHING BUT THE BAND!!!!!!!!)

If I could afford it I would revise to VSG with Dr. Aceves. I have heard nothing but good things about him.

Good luck to u!
jmwlpn2003
on 11/19/10 6:37 am
Dr. V did my surgery in TJ. I had a great experience with him. His whole staff were wonderful to me from the start to finish. He is very knowledgable and very personable. He has also had the surgery himself so he is very empathetic.  I'm sure that you are aware of the guest house with Lana, which made my stay all the better, to have an English speaking American there to pretty much see to my every need, including tourism, diet, emotional support (she's had the band too), and transportation. It makes a very scary situation much easier.

I know several other people who have had the surgery with Dr. V, and they have had the same experience. I wouldn't change a thing.

As for lap band itself, I chose it because I did not want my anatomy changed. I've taken care of people as a nurse who have had gastric bypass and seeing some of the after affects is what scared me away from that. I'm not saying that people don't have excellent results with other surgeries, I'm just saying that not changing my anatomy  was what cinched the deal for the lap band for me.

All I can say is that you should do your own research and make up your own mind. Don't let anyone sway you as to which way to go. You are the one that has to live with it in the end anyway. It is a major life change, any which way you go. If you need to know anything else, please don't hesitate to ask. My email is [email protected].

Jamie M. Walkup, LPN

gumbyhead920
on 11/20/10 12:27 am
Jamie -
Thank you for your reply! I feel the same way about the lap band I like that it doesn't change anything inside my body. I'm sure the other surgeries are great options too, but at this point and time I don't think they are for me. Also thank you for sharing your experience with Dr. V I've not seen a lot of post regarding him.
cdcruz936
on 3/13/11 6:35 pm
Leaving for Cancun on 3/21, arriving on 3/22!! I am scheduled to have the Plication surgery with Dr Verboonen on 3/24 I am so excited yet terrified at the same time.
Anyone else gonna be there around that time?
Michelle Smith
on 12/5/10 9:02 am
I had VSG with Dr V in Cancun in Jan. Could not have asked for a better surgeon!!!! My experience was 100% great!

~~I am 5'8~~

newmeki
on 12/14/10 7:56 am - Saudi Arabia
I just had my VSG with Dr V in Cancun and truly I am so happy that I chose him. He is very attentive and caring and his staff is right on top of things from the first moment you land in MX.  I have had several friends to travel from Saudi Arabia to have surgery with Dr V and all were very happy with their results.  While I have not been to his TJ hospital, I can say that my stay in Galenia in Cancun was phenomenal. 

HW 213, SW 187, GW 125 VSG 11/19/2010 BS 32 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views