Jerusalem Hospital - Recovery House?

julieb7525
on 11/5/10 4:05 pm - Ocean Springs, MS
Revision on 01/14/15

My questions:  Who has been here? Was is with Almanza or Ponce de Leon? Did you bring anyone with you? What does your guest do while you are in surgery? Is there food available for your guest at the clinic and recovery house? Did you feel unsafe in the recovery house? The state department has warnings for Americans in border towns to only go out during the day. Were you concerned at all about you or your guest's safety? I am getting nervous the closer it gets to December...Help. Thanks!!

Julie

Portland_Phil
on 11/5/10 4:41 pm
Gee, you sure ask a LOT of questions!  :)  I did not bring anyone with me, but others did and they share a bedroom.  I don't know what they did while the other was in surgery.  Check with your contact.  I did NOT feel unsafe.  The houses are in a gated community.  At the house there was a cook and lots of food so I think your guest will be fine.  Again, check with your contact (it's been so long I don't remember the local woman's name) and make sure they have room for your guest, etc.  That part of the journey will be the easiest.

Good luck to you, Julie, and please keep us apprised of your trip and progress.

Phil

julieb7525
on 11/5/10 11:54 pm - Ocean Springs, MS
Revision on 01/14/15
Thanks Phil!  I wanted to hear from someone who has actually been there...I know, I always ask a lot of questions! lol

hollykim
on 11/6/10 12:46 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I posted about my Mx trip on my blog. feel free to check it out. During my surgery my husband sat in our room at the hospital and waited for someone to come tell him it was over,just like he would have in the US./
Goo luck on your journey and keep us posted!
Holly

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/10 1:13 am
Portland_Phil
on 11/8/10 12:52 pm
Thanks for the heads-up on that slideshow, Tom.  It was just like being there!

One thing I forgot to mention.  I stayed at the other house the clinic owns in the same development, and the floor of the shower was SO FRIGGIN' SLIPPERY once you started to later a bit!!!  I'm not kidding and I was not the only person that just about killed myself.

So, if I were to stay there again, I'd bring some rubber "zorries" or flip-flops to wear while showering hoping they might give me more control.  Or I'd put a small towel on the floor while showering.  It's polished marble and is like greased ice once soap gets on it!

Again, good luck to you, Julie.

Phil

julieb7525
on 11/8/10 10:07 pm - Ocean Springs, MS
Revision on 01/14/15
Thanks! Glad you made it through the showering....lol  I'll make sure to pack some flops!

Boscogirl
on 11/15/10 2:18 am - TX
My husband spent the first night on the waiting room couch at the clinic...he could have gone on to the recovery house but I wanted him there with me.  They took great care of him the whole time.  Drivers took him to get food from street vendors, which he loved, and they cooks cooked for him.  Sometimes we had to ask (they run a different time schedule than we do) but they always got right on it and the food was excellent.  We stayed together at the recovery house too and we felt 100% safe at all times.  Wishing you all the best!!
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
julieb7525
on 11/15/10 2:25 am - Ocean Springs, MS
Revision on 01/14/15
Thanks for the info! My BF was getting worried he was going to starve to death, lol He's pretty picky when it comes to food, what type of food is it?

Boscogirl
on 11/15/10 3:10 am - TX
The street food was stuff like fajita tacos and tortas etc. and everything was really cheap.  He ate ceviche several times from a street vendor as well and that was his favorite thing and he has made it many times since we were there.  At the house they made him bacon and scrambled eggs with refried beans and tortillas for breakfast and I remember one night he had chile rellanos and I remember him having a really, really yummy looking toasted ham and cheese sandwich at one point....it looked like it came from a restaurant, it had the extra piece of bread in the middle.  He definitely did not go hungry! : )  They really go out of thier way to take good care of the companions so if he needs something don't hesitate to ask.
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views