ATTENTION: Dr. Almanza patients.

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/10 12:52 pm
Hello everyone! I am new to this website. I have been searching for good surgeons in Mexico and I came across very good things and a few bad things about Dr. Almanza AND his prices look pretty good as well. I am looking into getting a gastric sleeve. I was wondering if anybody has been to this surgeon, I'm looking for people's experiences. I desperately need this surgery done! I need to get to feeling better about myself again. PLEASE comment or send me a message about your experiences, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Louise
Margo N.
on 11/2/10 1:29 pm
You might search a little further down this message board for a number of posts about Dr Almanza, good and bad. This is a hot topic that has been discussed many, many times. I'm sure lots of people will chime in.

My perspective is this: I didn't go to him. A lot of people on this board who did go to him were happy with their experience. A significant number of people who went to him, including some who had been there before and had previously been happy with their experiences, were very unhappy with the quality of the aftercare and reported very concerning stories about the lack of routine care, attention and follow-up, as well as a number of serious complications.

We should all be informed that there is a risk of complications with this surgery - I don't know if Dr Almanza has more complications than other docs or not, but what I have heard from a number of long-time members on this board is that the medical response of his clinic when it comes to complications and/or emergencies is really inadequate.

For me that is enough of a reason to not even consider this doc - I thought his price was fantastic, and I have heard that he is very personable, so I was tempted, but at the end of the day could not justify risking the health and safety of my daughter's mother (that's me) in order to save some money.

Just my two cents - and those who argue that people who haven't been to Dr Almanza shouldn't offer an opinion - too bad - I want to be supportive of everyone in this community and that, for me, includes offering negative as well as positive opinions where I believe that safety is a concern. I've been on the boards for more than a year now and this is the ONLY doc about whom there is a pretty regular pattern of negative reports from his patients.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

MARIEALI
on 7/10/11 10:13 pm - BATON ROUGE, LA
 I love your honesty!!! I too felt the same way.. As a law student I do a lot of research. So naturally I did the same concerning my sleeve surgeon. He was the only doctor that I could find with some pretty negative stories. Not just this site. He might be a wonderful person and may have been a great doctor to others but that really scared me and concerned me. I also called around to check the creditials of the doctor I chose for my vsg. I used a lil savvy and legal knowledge to get some answers. I suggest everyone do the same. I am looking forward to my surgery in 02/2012. 

Dianna2
on 11/2/10 4:44 pm - Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
I recently went with a friend of mine to Dr. Almanza to have the sleeve done. I had my sleeve done in Mexico by another surgeon that my friend could not afford. Anyways, she had the sleeve and had the best treatment possible. She had no complications and the care both pre op and post op were absolutely fantastic!!!! The people were great from the very beginning when they picked us up at the San Diego airport and took us across the mexican border and then took us immediately to have her labs taken and then to the hospital. The hospital was absolutely spotless and the nurses were very attentive. Dr. Almanza himself must have sat with us for over an hour to make sure that all of our questions were answered and until my friend felt 100% confident. After the surgery she was checked on constantly to ensure her pain control was adequate and they helped her in and out of bed with patience and care so that she could get up walking as quickly as possible. Even with me there they still checked on her often. My friend had been thinking about going on her own but because she doesn't speak any spanish she thought having a friend would be a good idea. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip but to be honest she easily could have gone on her own. It has been three weeks and she is doing great and it thrilled to see how quickly the scale is moving in the downward direction.
N H.
on 11/2/10 11:12 pm - FL

Good Morning Louise,

I went last year (June 2009) to Dr. Almanza and had my sleeve.  My experience was a good one with no complications, however, there have been many posts since then talking about the lack of care at the clinic.

Research carefully till you find YOUR comfort level.  Two weeks ago today I had some cosmetic surgery and chose not to go back to the clinic for it (Dr. Lara would have been the surgeon) even though where I went cost more.  I was just uncomfortable with everything that has been posted.

Remember this is your decision and don't let any of us bully you one way or the other!

Good luck, Nancy

Pre Op-Surgery-Current-Goal
                                            232  -    213   -  153 - 150

5'4" tall
Stage 1 Plastics 10/20/10 with Dr. Adrian Menjarrez-Mexicali
Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck    
Boscogirl
on 11/3/10 1:12 am - TX
It's a tough decision for sure.  I went in March and I had a great experience and wouldn't trade it for anything. However, there have been some really bad complications in that clinic so I'm really not sure I would go back (like for plastics) or take a family member who wanted surgery.  There are a few more docs who have very similar pricing, Rodriquez and Pompa come to mind and I haven't heard of complications with them so you might check with them but like I said, I had a great experience and I am thankful I went and at no time did I feel I was endangering my life....I saw a few negative posts beforehand but I had total peace about my decision to go there.
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
jenni80
on 11/3/10 9:00 am
hi, i am finally having my surgery in two weeks from today.  i have been waiting for a long time and have seen the bad and good.  I think its really important to read everything you can good and bad and decide for yourself without anyone making the decision for you.  I am nervous cause of the things that have happened  and i am glad to hear the bad along witht the good to be more prepared but i am making the decision to go and have dr.almanza perform my vsg.  it is a clinic and not a hospital so that has to be something your comfortable with too. just research research research and whatever you decide you will have alot of support here.

Jeanette  

rere49
on 11/4/10 1:32 am
VSG on 05/15/08 with
Good luck Jenni.
jenni80
on 11/5/10 7:12 am
thank you rere, thats really sweet

Jeanette  

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/10 2:08 pm
Funny how quickly this member became deactivated!  Hmmmm.....
Which Louise could it be?   Betancourt's coordinator? 
What's the matter, too many cancellations lately?
Kharma Louise!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views