Stomach Problems..

RollTideRoll
on 9/28/10 11:38 am - Montgomery, AL
I just wanted to see if anybody knows what is going on with me, because I'm clueless about this haha. I started a new medicine almost a month ago called FORTAMET for my PCOS. I was supposed to start at 2 a day but he wanted me to take 1 a day to see how it works. Ever since I started taking it, I get to dry heaving in the mornings.

Lately, I've been getting migraines and it makes me afraid to even wake up in the morning. My stomach has been hurting. It feels vomity and icky. It makes weird sounds ALOT. I don't know if it's the band or maybe it's just the new medication that I've been taking. But my doctor knows that I have a band that was put in by a doctor in TJ, Mexico. Does anybody have any advice? My mom says just wait until we get to the doctor again on OCT. 11, and we will ask.. but it's kind of making me down because I want to go out and do senior things but I feel sick.
Thanks,
Love always,
Amanda
BBMaker
on 9/28/10 11:59 am
GI side effects are a common for Metformin (Fortamet). Empty stomach makes it worse. I'm guessing you were started on 1000 mg/daily with the goal of increasing to 2000 mg/daily. It's a high starting dose. Talk to your doctor about starting at 500 mg/day and see if that improves things a bit. Gradually increase to the 2000 mg/day maximum.

RollTideRoll
on 9/28/10 9:52 pm - Montgomery, AL
Yes, I make sure that I eat something with it. :) And yes, I did start at 1000 haha. So that's what is probably causing the vomit feelings and the migraines and things? Thanks so much! I will talk to my doctor! Thanks so much!
BBMaker
on 9/29/10 9:49 am
 Hope a lower dose helps. I actually prescribe Metformin a lot. I start at 500 mg/day for a week. Then 500 mg twice a day for a week. Then 500 mg three times a day for a week. Then I bump folks up to 1000 mg twice a day. Starting slow and building gradually seems to help with the nausea. Good luck with your doc 
RollTideRoll
on 9/29/10 11:19 am - Montgomery, AL
Ohh, you're a doctor? :) Thanks soooooo much!!!! I will let my doctor know all of this :)
Love always,
Amanda
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views