Calling All Almanza Patients

ButterflyB
on 9/22/10 10:10 am
I'm a revision patient. I just had my band installed in Jan 2010. Needless to say, it has a leak, and frankly is a huge pain. I am either PBing on my food or am hungry and food slides right down.

So, I'm considering a revision with Dr. Almanza, mainly because his prices are extremely affordable. There seem to be several very happy patients along with others that do not seem to be as happy. At 1/2 the price of other surgeons, it's easy to give up recovery in a hospital, frills, etc. I'm also a relative light weigh at 185, 5' 2" so my health is not really a concern.

I also understand that ther are some disgruntled former coordinators that post about him as well.

So . . . I'm looking for support, advice, input, etc on going the Almanza route for my revision.
RollTideRoll
on 9/22/10 1:10 pm - Montgomery, AL
Well, all I can say is that I had the band put in by Almanza and alot went wrong with my mother's, who also had the band put in by Almanza.. my parents are willing to pay any amount to a wonderful doctor, because they honestly care and want what's best for me. But, if you decide to go to this doctor, I will support you 100%.. but me, myself, wouldn't take a risk.
Love always,
Amanda
hollykim
on 9/22/10 1:48 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I used Dr. Almanza for my sleeve and was very pleased with my surgery experience and recovery.  There is a detailed description with pics on my blog. Good luck,
Holly

Boscogirl
on 9/22/10 3:40 pm - TX
I had a great experience with him....no complaints whatsoever.
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
mit_tens
on 9/23/10 3:11 am - Woodstock, CT
I might get flamed for saying this, but that's ok. Everyone has their own opinion.

Although I state that I have *never* been to  Almanza, I can tell you my research on this Dr and the clinic definitely had me looking the other way. There is an unusually high number of complications coming from this Clinic, and to me I would not take the risk.

Put it this way, If you are lucky and come out with no complications then I would be so happy for you, just as I am for those beautiful ladies that posted before me. On the other hand, if you did have some complications that landed you back in the hospital, (and there is quite a few threads on here from former patients that state that) then you will be paying way more money in the long run, but more importantly compromising your LIFE!

I know his prices are so much cheaper then the rest, trust me I want to save money just as much as the next person......................but perhaps stop to think of WHY his prices are so much cheaper?

Just my thoughts from doing my research, and I intend on no way starting a surgeon war, and I am not even going to refer my surgeon to you, that's not my intent. I just BEG you to do more research and also go to Vertical Sleeve Talk.com you can find alot of things on Almanza as well.

If you do decide to go with Almaza, you will have my support, but I just feel it necessary for you to research the hell out of every surgeon you are considering, and don't base your decision with price.

Best of luck.

Your past does not equal, nor does it dictate, your future. 

HW~245
CW~178
GW~130

Thats 268 sticks of butter GONE!          
cook9705
on 9/23/10 9:59 am - Irmo, SC
I also had VSG with Dr. Almanza ( June 30, 2010), and I was very pleased with my experience with him and his clinic. I was treated very well, and I have had very good results.  Best wishes to you in this journey. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Melissa
greenbaygirl
on 9/23/10 10:09 am - Hobart, WI
After having a sleeve, returning with my sister getting a sleeve, then returning a third time with my husband and girlfriend who got a sleeve...........would I return again?  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  Would I refer anyone there again....NO. 

They are NOT prepared for serious complications, much less an emergency, and several of us can attest to that after having complications.

Just my opinion. 

As others have stated, ALL of us will support you and send you prayers and well wishes regardless of your decision, so you must do what is best for you.

Good Luck

ishary
on 10/25/10 8:12 am - Whittier, CA
Hi Honey!!!
How are you? How is Hubby?
I havent been on this board in ages!! I have lost all the weight I want to lose and I am getting ready to take my oldest daughter down to Mexico. We will most likely go to Aceves.
I heard from Cheri and Carl on Friday. They look FANTASTIC!!! Cheri is down 95 lbs and Carl is down 150 lbs!!
How is Kim???
Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/14 10:21 pm

You had surgery with Dr. Lopez-Corvala. I was wondering if I could ask you about your experience!

NursieGirl
on 9/23/10 11:13 am
 I had a sleeve with Dr. Almanza.  Like you, I was a lightweight in perfect health, and didn't give a rat's tooshie about being in a hospital or having any "frills."  However, I would not recommend this facility to my family, friends, patients or worst enemy.  It is a dangerous facility with extremely high complication rates, and absolutely NO follow-up or assistance if something goes wrong.  I have several personal friends who visited here for revisions and VSGs and have struggled ever since trying to get botched surgeries corrected.  It has cost them thousands of dollars in out-of-pocket medical expenses, as well as countless hours lost at work and more importantly, some of them will have permanent damage for the rest of their lives.  I was very lucky that my providers were only careless and not criminal, or I would have been in that same boat with no opportunity for legal recourse.  Please PLEASE reconsider.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views