Lap-band to RNY Dr. Aceves

CarolinaGirl270
on 9/3/10 11:01 am
Hey everyone, I had a lap-band placed 4 years ago this month and have only had pain and reflux since I was banded. I lost 25 pounds since being banded. I have had and upper GI and esophageal manometry (horrible experience) and it looks like my band slipped a little. Anyway, my insurance won't pay to take out the band or revise to any other wls so I am going to Dr. Aceves in June 2011 for a revision. I live in SC and the only thing I worry about are DVT's from the long flight after surgery. I'm really looking forward to having this band out. I would appreciate any advice for anyone who has  experience with Dr. A or revision in general. I'm also on the revision board but just lurking there so far.

Lap-band placed August 2006, Lap-band removed September 2010.
Revision to RNY gastric bypass.
--Stephanie --   

Margo N.
on 9/3/10 2:56 pm
I don't have experience with a revision, but had a fantastic experience being sleeved with Dr Aceves. Full details on my blog: www.vsggoodlife.com
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

hopingtolose
on 10/12/10 9:03 am - CA
I had my band 4 years ago this coming Feb and I too am VERY unhappy with it. I am sooo tired of the vomiting. I am also considering the RNY, sleeve is my other option. I have several friends who have the RNY and love it but no one with the sleeve. I am just wondering if I should go with the RNY or get the sleeve. I am afraid it may be just as hyped as the band was 4 years ago
Gina
CarolinaGirl270
on 10/12/10 11:59 am
I had my band removed Sept. 29. I had really bad capsular scarring where the band had been. My insurance would not pay for revision, just removal. Long story with that but my surgeon said the staple line would not have held if I wanted a sleeve. He could have done the RNY since he would have cut above the scar tissue. I'm now waiting for a pilot program here in SC for 100 state employees who will get free RNY. I am submitting all my paperwork and I hope I am one of the 100 people chosen. I will have the RNY if I have it here in SC. If I have to self pay and go to Mexico I will be going to Dr. Alvarez (since he is closer to home) and have the sleeve. I worry that the sleeve won't give me the weight loss I want, just like the band.

Lap-band placed August 2006, Lap-band removed September 2010.
Revision to RNY gastric bypass.
--Stephanie --   

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views