Hello, I'm new here

vikkilynn
on 9/2/10 11:58 am
Hello, I am new here.  I am just beginning to explore the option of having gastric bypass surgery in Mexico.    My insurance will not cover anything related to weight,  and I have found that it is so much cheaper to travel to Mexico to have this procedure done.

I'm not sure where to begin, or how to find a surgeon.  Could anyone give a newbie like me some advice?

Thanks
greenbaygirl
on 9/2/10 6:50 pm - Hobart, WI
Research, research, research!  Ask lots of questions of others who have been down this road, and after all of that, be confident in your decision.  I would encourage you to re-think the bypass surgery for the sleeve, but that's just me.  Research the DS also.  Private message anyone whom you have read on this site that you would like to ask more questions of, and I am certain they will be glad to help you out and answer anything.  We have all been where you are now, and are grateful to the many people who helped us!

Goodluck!

Jean

randerson
on 9/3/10 9:03 am
RNY on 09/25/08 with
 I would definitely recommend to do a research online of all the doctors and their credentials. It helped me a lot to go to the doctor's website and take a good look! Take your time as I did, I think I made the best choice possible, my surgery was a success and financially it was a wise choice, because like you my insurance didn't cover my surgery.
Hope that this road takes you to a better and healthier you!
Good luck!!!

Margo N.
on 9/3/10 2:59 pm
Research! Good luck in your journey! My experiences with my surgeon and pre and post op are on my blog.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

nicole M.
on 9/3/10 4:01 pm - Trenton, MI
RNY on 11/03/10 with
I'm new too (well, sort of,) and have decided to have surgery in mexico, because I don't have insurance at all. I did a lot of research and have decided on Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta, and will be booking a surgery date for the RNY in the next couple of weeks.  I did a lot of research on here, youtube, and even googled stuff. 

Welcome :)

My WLS Blog: http://wls-nicoleta.livejournal.com/

vikkilynn
on 9/3/10 10:43 pm
Thank you for your responses.  I have been researching and it is helping alot. 

I do have another question, what do you do about aftercare.  Do I have to find a dr here who will take me after the surgery?  Or maybe there isn't that much after care.  I really don't know much about this at all.

CKnorte
on 9/4/10 5:17 pm - Avila Beach, CA
I had surgury with Dr. Corvala in Tijuana....wonderful experience....

Research and make sure you contact people who have had surgury, google and see if there is any thing bad related to his name.

After care depends on the surgury, I know for sleeve and sleeve plication, the after care is minimal.  I talked to my PCP before going and got him on board.  The after care is really lab work and making sure that you don't have vitamin or blood deficiencies.

Good luck with your research.  I think I would go back to Mexico for any other elective procedure I will have going forward.  The care I received at the hospital and from the Dr.s and nursing staff was wonderful!
Carol
Visit my blog: Fat Woman on a Mission

Manon
on 9/4/10 7:18 am - Burbank, CA
VSG on 10/04/10 with
I did a ton of research and scheduled my surgery for a month from today with Dr. Joya.  As far as aftercare goes, I'll be in Mexico for 10 days and I'll go to my regular provider after that.  Feel free to ask any other questions if you have them!

HW-280/SW-264/CW-214/GW-155 (5'9")

dlayton603
on 9/7/10 1:58 am - Raleigh, NC
Hello, I did A LOT of research and I am having my surgery (RNY) with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta on 12/17/2010. I haven't heard one bad thing about him or his team.  Aftercare - I haven't been able to find a local doctor to look at me.  I have a hospital that is a Center of Excellence not too far away.  The hopsitals that are Centers of Excellence have a Bariatric surgeon on call 24/7.  Once they see you, you are their patient. Good luck.  Donna - Raleigh, North Carolina
Lina P.
on 9/8/10 1:01 pm - Bolton, Canada

Read testemonials.
The best way to find out about any doctor is from people who've already had the proceedure done and make the decision based on what you like about the doctor, nurses, hospital/clinic.has to offer.

Good luck on your search!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views