I want to tell you guys about my experience!!

fitby40
on 8/16/10 8:51 am - Franklin, TN
 Hi.  I had surgery with Dr. Almanza on July 19th.   I had gastric bypass.  I was a little scared but not to bad.  I was in a bit of pain when I came out of surgery.  I felt the 1st night they were not taking my pain serious but the next day pain wasn't even really an issue.  I stayed at the hospital for two nights and then they said something about going to a hotel.  I felt really uncomfortable about that.  I didn't know anyone there but I thought it would be ok.  I got to the hotel and there was nothing I could munch on.  No popsicles or jello.  I had the leak test so I could have something to drink and eat but I got nothing.  There was nothing at the hotel I could eat.  I also needed to change my bandages and there was no bandages in my medicine bad they gave me.  I called my patient coordinator she said someone would come by and bring me something to eat and drink and more bandages.  I kept calling her and she wouldn't answer.  Said something like she didn't check that phone.  So I was scared and didn't have the supplies I needed and was uncomfortable all night long.  When they picked up in the morning I was told they had a party at the recovery house.  I was upset but didn't say much.  I couldn't believe they let me stay at a hotel and didn't check on me and had a party.  I thought that was rather unprofessional.

I am home a week and having horrible pain in my left arm.  I had a CT scan and they found two large abcesses in my belly.  I was in the hospital for a week on strong antibotics and them being drained.  I finally got my drains out.  

I am not trying to bash this doctor but before anyone go to a doctor out of the country please do all your homework.  I went with price but it is going to cost me more since complications aren't covered by insurance.  

They can't even send me my operative report.  I guess they dont even do those.  I thought that would be important but I guess they just want to get them done.  

I am still having nausea.  When does that end?  

Rachael

P.s. Please be careful
allypad64
on 8/16/10 10:24 am - henderson, NV
I am so very sorry that you had this happen to you.  I was so close to going to Almanza because of price, but after reading all that I have read, I changed my mind.  I hope you are feeling better now and please take care of yourself.

Ally
Chasman
on 8/16/10 12:12 pm
Fitby,

I'm so glad you will be okay. No one should accuse you of bashing. You just gave the facts. I wish you a speedy recovery and great success on your weight loss.

Cheers,
Chas

RollTideRoll
on 8/16/10 2:20 pm - Montgomery, AL
Oh my gosh.. I'm sorry to hear about your horrible experience. They are starting to upset me terribly.. It's like everyone that has positive to say about him are sooo lucky. Don't be afraid to post your story. My mom had 5 abscess. She was also in an induced coma for 2 weeks because the doctor found pneumonia in her lung and her lungs needed a break to heal. The doctors down here say that they are surprised that she didn't die!! But she's my big soldier :)

She is doing alright now. She doesn't have nausea.. but her food does come up by itself. She also has a fistula where they put the drain to drain out the abscess in her stomach. A hole that she will have to take care of and watch drain foods through the hole they left in her stomach, for the rest of her life. She had depression long before this surgery... and she gets down every once in awhile now... but she told me today that it sucks how it takes this much to really know how cherishable her life really is.

Hope everything works out!!! Keep us updated and speak up freely (if it's always the truth).
greenbaygirl
on 8/16/10 4:19 pm, edited 8/18/10 12:01 pm - Hobart, WI
Wow, sorry things went so crappy for you.  I had some experiences there myself.  Hope now that this part is over, everything will be easy for you.  In the end, it will still be the best decision you ever made ( to have the surgery) and you will be happier and healthier.  Good Luck!

NursieGirl
on 8/17/10 11:46 am
 I'm so sorry that you had such a horrible experience!  The lack of care shocks me!!!  Please keep us updated on your recovery

Pattie_M
on 8/18/10 12:36 am - TX

Please, please don't go strictly by the lower price. Do your research. It could save you a hospital bill later, not to mention the pain and suffering!

Rachael take care of yourself and I hope everything turns out well for you!

Pattie
bigisbad
on 8/19/10 11:52 pm - Canada, Canada
Sorry to hear about your experience. Although I am also a Dr. A patient I now wonder what is really going on there. Wish you a full recovery!
Best wishes
TR

Portland_Phil
on 8/20/10 1:29 am
Hi Rachael.

I'm so sorry you are going thru all this.  It will get better, but will take time.  Hang in there.

Phil

LadyJennifer64
on 10/5/10 2:00 pm - Eagle River, WI
VSG on 01/06/09 with
So sorry to hear your story. I had a VSG with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta in January 2009 and ended up with terrible complications, infections and leak. I was hospitalized 3 times during that year and finally recovered. My insurance refused to pay because of complicaitons but I retained an attorney and they eventually paid $135,000 Don't give up on trying to get the bills paid.
Jennifer
LadyJennifer64
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views