Leak test /B 12 injections

toddsarj
on 7/26/10 10:03 am - Brighton, Canada
I am looking for information regarding a few concerns I have. Can someone tell me what's involved with the leak test that they do after gastric bypass RNY ?  As well should I be taking B 12 injections - as opposed to pill form ?  What vitamins will I need to have after surgery ?  (I would love some advice here)

If anyone has been to Dr. Almanza can you tell me how long you had to wait on the day of surgery to have your surgery ?

My surgery is in 11 days ! Countdown has begun. 
hollykim
on 7/27/10 5:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Hi congrats on your upcoming surgery. there are 3 leak tests done,one while you are still in the OR,one where you drink a little cup of blue dye and then they watch your drain to see if any blue is leaking out and the third is an xray of your sleeve while you drink some contrast and they watch it go down on the xray. All painless and usually very quick.

I had a sleeve so you will take more vitaming than I do but I take
Calcium,b-12, iron,vit d. the b-12 is best absorbed by drops put under your tongue. Injections are good too but the drops are better.

My surgery was 530pm I think.  You can go to my blog for a detailed account with pics.
good luck. I love my sleeve!
Holly

toddsarj
on 7/28/10 12:26 pm - Brighton, Canada
Dear Holly,

Thanks so much for your reply. I have read your blog and its great to have information from someone who has been there. I am getting more and more nervous as the count down gets closer but in the end it'll be great. I am having RNY done and can't wait.  I am nervous that I have never met Dr. Almanza or his team. I have heard such good things though and have talked to several people who have had him do their surgery.  This Forum has been such a blessing for me. 

Congratulations on your progress and good luck to you ! 

Sarah
hollykim
on 7/28/10 1:16 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Dr. almanza and the team are all very kind,friendly and personable. Dr. almanza spends as much time with you as you need. While some speak English better than others,I never had any trouble getting my needs across to anyone. One good word to know "Acido" is acid in spanish,LOL. in case you have reflux trouble. I also took Gas-X strips which helped tremendously with the gas after.

Keep us posted,
Holly

toddsarj
on 7/28/10 12:37 pm - Brighton, Canada
Holly,

Where do you get your B12 drops ?  I would like this better than an injection !

Sarah
hollykim
on 7/28/10 1:11 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I get the drops or the sublingual tablets at any drugstore: CVS,walgreens  Walmart or Vitamin shoppe or GNC. I try to get them when they are on sale for buy one get one free.

browneyedDeeva
on 7/28/10 7:35 am - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
heyyyyyyy, congrads on ur surgery date its right around the corner . i too had dr Almanza the day i had my surgery i think it was around 3 ish pm there were 2 other surgeries besides me that day i was last i told dr A he saved the best for last lol
good luck to u

see ya lighter,

Toni                         

toddsarj
on 7/28/10 12:29 pm - Brighton, Canada
Thanks for the luck ! I need all the good wishes that I can get ! Thanks as well for the information. You have done great on your progress !!!! Congratulations.  Countdown is now 9 days !!! *whooo hooooo* 
NursieGirl
on 7/28/10 11:36 am
My understanding is that this surgeon does RNY surgeries first.  There were only two sleeves scheduled on the day I had surgery (including my own) and he took me first.  Surgeries began at about eleven am, so it depends in which order he wants to do surgery.  My roommate however, was seeing a different doctor for plastic surgery, and she waited until after eight pm!

NursieGirl
on 7/28/10 11:39 am
You will wait in a recovery room with a bed and a tv, but bring a book or whatever to keep you entertained just in case

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views