WLS Complications and Insurance

Kim W.
on 7/21/10 3:32 pm
If you personally pay for surgery in Mexico and later have complications at home in the US will insurance companies typically cover the complications?  Any experiences anyone??
Mary C.
on 7/22/10 6:51 am - Glovertown, Canada
Hi - I can't speak for people in the US - but here in Canada - the land of Universal Health Care - no doctor or ER will turn you away if you are ill - no matter where you had your surgery done. Not saying they won't maybe be a bit peeved over and mutter a bit - but you WILL get timely and proper care. This is a great post - definitely an issue to explore for people from the US or abroad before they head to Mexico for surgery. It pays to be pro-active and informed prior to having surgery done anywhere!
shunt1960
on 7/22/10 7:27 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with
I haven't had any complications but my Family Physician has been doing all my follow up. Besides, if you have complications hospitals can't refuse treatment to anyone. My insurance has covered all my follow up. I had my stitches removed, lab work done twice and all is well.
SW /CW/GW   307.6/202/180    Not a Sprint but what a Journey it is

csanddex
on 7/22/10 2:30 pm
You are SOL if bariatric surgery is written out of your plan. My hubby had life threatening complications from a botched RNY with Dr. Huacuz in 2007 and we owe hundreds of thousands of dollars to the hospital.  They can't turn you away but you are stuck with the bill.

Having said that, if you go with a reputable doctor in Mexico and still end up with complications , you sort of have to take a  crude look at it.  You may be miserable for a few months and in debt but you probably also have given yourself your life back with the health losing significant weight can bring.

It is not something to take lightly by any means but I always try to look at the big picture.
RollTideRoll
on 7/22/10 3:54 pm - Montgomery, AL
According to our surgeon people in Mexico, if we have complications, the only way their insurance policy will work is if we go all the way back to Mexico to get it.
Love always,
Amanda
LadyJennifer64
on 7/28/10 7:34 am - Eagle River, WI
VSG on 01/06/09 with

I had my surgery in Mexico and had complications for the next year.  In hospital on 3 occassions and finally surgery to fix the leak.  My insurance company denied everything because there was a rider on my policy for weighloss surgery.  My medical bills were $135000.00 I ultimately hired an attorney and after a hearing at the insurance company, they paid the bills.  Thank God.  It was a long and stressful few months.

LadyJennifer64
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views