High Blood Pressure / Diabetes after Weight Loss Surgery?

zsflower
on 7/19/10 11:53 am - Elk Grove, CA
I'm feeling pretty down in the dumps!  After losing 154 lbs I was put on 2 medications for high blood pressure and now it looks like I'll need to go on meds for diabetes!  I told my doc that I was always told that 99% if my health problems were my weight.  I would always hear, "Lose weight and this and that will be better!".  So now I asked her why after having WLS I get high blood pressure and diabetes.  Her answer?  "There is no surgery yet to keep you from getting old!"  Everybody's a comedian!

I guess I should look at the bright side and maybe if I hadn't lost this weight I might be so much worse, but it's just so darn depressing to have this now!!!!

I'm sure there are things I can do to improve like get more exercise.  And I guess at least there are more medications to control these issues, but I can't help being a little upset about it! 

Anybody else have this happen?  Thanks for letting me vent!

Sandy Johnston
Patient Care Coordinator
aLighterMe.com

Anew Start
on 7/19/10 12:06 pm
Hi Sandy,

I'm really sorry to hear that your diabetes/blood pressure weren't  resolved with WLS.  I'm sure it's pretty discouraging and your doc's response was kinda crappy too.  I can't offer too much advice as I dont have any health issues (other than being overweight and at risk for due to weight).  I just wanted to encourage you and send ya a little cyber hug

csanddex
on 7/19/10 4:56 pm
That stinks... but things would be worse if your weight were higher.. 
NursieGirl
on 7/20/10 3:42 am
I hope things get better for you.  I know how frustrating it can be, and how desperately we cling to WLS as a "fix-all" for our health problems.  Medications and an increase in exercise isn't the end of the world.  Did you talk to your doctor about your normal diet?  Is it low salt?

yayita73
on 7/20/10 3:55 am - Houston, TX
Sorry too hear about that! I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and I was told by my pcp that my weight is a major factor and if I lose the weight it should relieve the pain...now I'm beginning to wonder if that will be true after my surgery.

Angela
hollykim
on 7/20/10 9:53 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I would be pissed,too. I had HBP and Type II presurgery but it has resolved. hopefully,yours will resolve as well.
hang in there,
h

jenni80
on 7/21/10 7:53 am
Oh sandy, sorry to hear your going through this. you will be in my thoughts and prayers there will be a solution to this.  keep us updated.  Big hugs!!!

Jeanette  

spittman
on 7/30/10 6:33 am - Reston, VA
VSG on 06/29/09 with
I am confused, before WLS you did not have these conditions and now you do or you had them, had WLS went away and came back again?

If you have been diabetic for 5 years or more some doctors are seeing WLS patience see a recovery then later diabetes comes back. If you never were diabetic and now became one after WLS there is not much you can do. Think of the bright side you are a healthy diabetic not one that has 154 pounds extra and you  may be able to control it with diet and excersice alone and no pills.
          As of 12/10/10 CW: 150 pounds Lost: 52 

zsflower
on 7/31/10 8:35 am - Elk Grove, CA
Prior to my first surgery (lap band) back in 2001 I was on a medication to help with fluid retention and was told I was borderline as far as high blood pressure.  However in the last year I was told I have high blood pressure and was put on 2 different meds for that.  The diabetes is very recent, after the 153 lbs loss.  And I'm sure you are right that I would be much worse off at 154 lbs. heavier.  High blood pressure and diabetes does run in my family, so I know I have a higher risk of developing these diseases.  I guess I just figured I would be able to avoid them all together with weight loss.  Oh well!  Such as life!

Sandy Johnston
Patient Care Coordinator
aLighterMe.com

judycay
on 8/1/10 10:16 am
Wow Sandy - sorry to hear this - that is stinko!   For some of us, the path simply isn't easy, you know about my history with infections, I get a paper cut and I end up at the hospital.  

Sometimes no matter how hard we work at regaining our health - there are always obstacles.  And the aging part isn't fun either, I know I will never be able to run again, and some days my back prevents me from doing many of the things I would like to do - I hobble around trying to do things I probably shouldn't (my son has threatened if he catches me on the roof again he is going to confiscate my ladder and screw my upstairs windows closed).

Each day is a gift, it may not be all we had hoped for, but we need to make the most of it.
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics