Diet and other Questions

allypad64
on 7/17/10 11:07 am - henderson, NV
So, I am getting my surgery in September - yeahh!!  I have been waiting a very long time.  I do have a few questions for the people who have been sleeved.  I am a little worried about the "head hunger" because sometimes I eat just because it tastes good, not necessarily because I am hungry.  Does the sleeve stop the "head hunger" or is it still really a big struggle.  I have been reading lots of profiles and it seems that it isn't much of a problem.  I know I have a long road ahead of me, and I am not taking this lightly, just want to get some answers from people who have been there.  Since they cut away the portion of your stomach that makes the hunder protein (ghrelin), is it easier to stay away from food or are  you just full faster and have no desire to eat.

Also, if there are people who would be great enough to post a sample of your diet (what you eat each day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner) - that would be great!  Also, samples of diet as you progress through this journey with your new sleeve - from right after post-op to now.

I am thankful to have a support sight such as this one and am trying to prepare myself mentally for my journey.

My doctor of choice is Dr. Aceves.  I was going to go to Almanza, but have changed my mind because the last time I was put under anesthesia, I couldn't breath when I came out of it so with all that I have been reading, I feel that I would be better off being in a hospital setting.

Thanks for listening and I would appreciate any and all feedback!
NursieGirl
on 7/17/10 12:13 pm
I'm a new post-op but I can tell you what's going on for me!  I have a teeny bit of head hunger, but not much.  I am more focused on getting in food as fuel now and so, to be honest, my relationship with food has changed. 

Here's what I had to eat today:

One Labrada ready-to-drink protein shake, 17 ounces, split into four servings.
One half hard-boiled egg.
One scrambled egg with a sprinkle of cheese and some hot Mexican salsa (over two sittings)
One light laughing cow swiss cheese wedge.
One and a half ounces of beans and cheese with hot sauce.

(my sleeve only likes spicy food.  Hope this helps!)

allypad64
on 7/17/10 1:45 pm - henderson, NV
Thanks - it definitely does help!  I appreciate any and all info - LOL.  I am getting nervous now....
NursieGirl
on 7/18/10 5:08 am
Don't be nervous!  You'll do great!

nurseygrrl
on 7/17/10 11:59 pm - Toronto, Canada
Last week I really struggled with head hunger, but what has changes since surgery is I am able to separate head hunger from real hunger (because I have none!). I realized I was suffering from cravings rather than actual hunger and used all of my might to ignore it ( I logged onto here, checked my email, played with my son etc... to keep me busy). Those feelings have subsided majorly.

Yesterday I ate -
2tbs bolognese sauce blended with cheese (twice)
2tbs homemade baked beans(twice)
sugarfree jello
protein shake (chocolate blended withstrawberries)
and LOTS of water!

In the clear fluids phase i was eating a lot of sugar-free jello
fulll fluids it was SF jello, sf/ff yogurt, blended soups, protein shakes

Goodluck! You'll do great!!
“Women are angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly…..on a broomstick. We’re just that flexible."     
Dynamic_Duover
on 7/18/10 8:08 am - Piedmont, OK
I had my sleeve done w/Dr. Aceves 19 days ago (& my husband had his done at the same time).  Read my blog if you want a day-by-day read of our trip.  It was a GREAT experience.

My "head hunger" is still there, but I swear part of it is tummy hunger as well, however, it is NOT difficult to control at all.  The first day after surgery, I was just so grateful for the juice & broth.  It was wonderful & soothing!  The next week is the same.  I think it is your tummy healing & you really don't want the heavy stuff.  Going into each stage of foods is great, because you can add a few more. 

I would suggest STAY AWAY from the smells of food.  Just going into a restaurant with friends triggers my "head hunger"!!!  Although, when I order my cup of cream soup it is EXTREMELY satisfying (& also knowing that I'm losing weight & rebuilding my life).  I still take home 1/2 the soup!  My meals yesterday (and I was STUFFED):

1 EAS Chocolate Fudge Protein Shake
1/2 c. Cream of Broccoli Soup
1/2 c. Watermelon
1/3 c. Cream of Potato Soup & 1 T. s/f Chocolate Pudding

allypad64
on 7/18/10 3:35 pm - henderson, NV
Thanks for all the great info guys!!

Allison
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views