Surgery story Puerto Vallarta

Legacylc
on 7/13/10 12:43 pm - Fairfax, VA
  My experience in Mexico was awesome. I went to Puerto Vallarta.

It wasn't any different from me going to all the appointments when I was doing it here in Virginia. They have the same standards and I did my research because you get what you pay for. There are some cheap surgeons in Mexico but I wanted skill and not necessarily price. I did allot of research, talked to tons of past patients and prayed about making the right choice.

I vacationed for the first 4 days (we went early) and I did a walk through the hospital to see where I would be staying then I went to my doctors office to do all my pre-op testing (blood work, EKG).

The next day I checked into the hospital at 10:30 they had my results for the blood work which came back fine. I had already did blood work before I life just FYI and had a baseline so I knew what to expect. I then met with the nutritionist, the psych doc and my surgeon again, and also internal medicine doctor. 

I had a private room it was a full hospital with intensive care, blood bank etc. The hospital beds about 14 that is typical in Mexico. At 3:30 I went down for surgery the anesthesiologist was there and the rest of the staff lights out!!!!

I woke up in the recovery area nauseous of course I am always very nauseous the nurses were right there and took care of me until I was OK. 

I was then wheeled up to my room which was a private room and made sure I was comfortable while I was there. The nursing staff was fine most spoke English and all the doctors were fluent in English.

There was one to one nursing I believe and like I said they were great. 

I was did my leak test on day 2 believe and all went well. I was then given ice chips and waited to be discharged back to the hotel. We took a cab that was prepaid back to our hotel that was also included in the price and the doctors came in the morning at about 10:00am to check on you. If you had any questions before hand all you had to do is call their cell phone which I did and they answered right away.

I stayed at the hospital for another 2 days and was then released to travel back home. I was given my prescriptions the day before I was admitted to the hospital so I had all those filled prior to going in for surgery which was great.

The flight was fine and the only part I wish I would have changed is eating more of my favorite foods before surgery lol and taking less items with me. If you want to know more pm me and I well tell you more details.

Mary C.
on 7/13/10 2:32 pm - Glovertown, Canada
Thanks so much for posting your story. My BFF's daughter is heading down to Mexico this coming Sunday and is having her surgery with Dr. JOya on Monday. It helps me out knowing what the process is down there - as she and I will be in close touch while she is down there. Congrats on your surgery!

NursieGirl
on 7/13/10 2:51 pm
Congratulations on an uneventful surgery!  I'm so glad that your experience was positive, and that you are on your way!

jenni80
on 7/14/10 1:25 pm
It sounds like your whole experience was wonderful.  Congrats on a great surgery and my girlfriend just went to puerta vallarta and the pictures of it are amazing!!!  Now the best part will happen, all your weight loss.

Jeanette  

Boscogirl
on 7/14/10 1:49 pm - TX
Congratulations and I'm so happy you had such a positive experience.  Thanks for sharing.
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
Anew Start
on 7/14/10 1:51 pm
Thanks for sharing your story  Sounsd like you had a pretty great experience and glad to see you're doing well!

take care

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views