1 week surgeriversary--telling my family please reply.

Legacylc
on 7/13/10 6:34 am - Fairfax, VA
 Well I had surgery on July 6th all has gone well so far I am just anticipating getting to the point when I swallow it doesn't feel like there is a ball inside my stomach trying to get in. So just for back ground. I live away from my family but close to my husbands family. Although I am very close to my sister and mom I have feared telling them I had surgery especially since I did it in Mexico and they live in El Paso (border of Juarez).

I talk to my sister every morning and we are only 16 months apart so we have always been close. I originally told her about having surgery but it was originally supposed to happen in the states. Now that I have had the surgery I want to tell her because I want her support and I want to share my experiences with her.

My family does not have a history of being over weight I didn't even have a history of being over weight until I started having other health related issues for the past couple of years. 

I come from a military family and my husband and I are prior Air Force ourselves so fitness has always been apart of our routine even at 225lbs I did what I could.

Although I have a very supportive family system I don't have the energy nor the time to explain my decision to have surgery in Mexico, the fact that I paid for it myself, and  my loving but opinionated mother's input.

My sister I believe will not be an issue but she lives around the corner from my mother; overall though I think she will be happy for me because we do support one another.

I don't talk to my mother's side of the family at all because it is too many women that are always meddling in everyone's business and I don't have time for it so my fear is if I tell my mother she will then tell her family and the cacklers will start cackling!

Any advice??
allypad64
on 7/14/10 6:19 am - henderson, NV
Well, since its already over, I wouldn't worry too much about telling them.  I have a very opinionated mother as well and she tried her best to talk me out of it but I wouldn't have any of it.  I think that if you start out by telling them that you want their support now and you don't want to hear anything about where you had your surgery (because its too late anyway), they will be accepting.  Best of luck to you - I hope it all works out OK!

Ally
mybadof4
on 7/15/10 12:18 pm - De Pere, WI
RNY on 11/09/09 with
I had surgery with Dr Joya in November and did not tell my Hubby's family because I knew my MIL would be all over me about it.  So when I got back I told her and there was nothing she could say.  I told her I didn't tell her because I didn't want her to worry.  She bought it!
 Mary       
HW 238 SW 215 GW 135 2nd GW 125 CW 120 
katydidit64
on 8/1/10 4:14 am - north port, FL
The surgery is over and done.... you are recovering well... you don't much chat with that side of the family... so if ya want tell her... let them cackle...who cares?  If they call tell 'em thanks for being concerned enough to call and your feeling great  Its how you feel that is most important... *****ally cares where you had the surgery anyway? Its the outcome that matters!

Your husband's got your back and that is truely the only important peice of the puzzle... family is good but you don't live with them

March 2009 Lower body lift with BA/BL - Cosmed Clinic Dr. F - TJ Mexico
April 2010   Tummy Tuck, Horizontal Thigh lift, Back Lipo/sculpting 
                    Dr. Luque - Mexicali MX

judycay
on 8/1/10 10:25 am
You can't untell!    I had a band 10 days ago over my RNY, I didn't tell my husband until after I returned and I am not sure I want to share with my sisters - it simply isn't their body and I don't need negativity right now.
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
oyekan
on 8/6/10 3:54 am
I understand that you want to tell your mother and sister, because you're close to them.. I told my mother and brother my choice to have VSG in 2012.. They basically went up one side of me and down the other, with negativity mind you they're fat too..so go figure but It was horrible, I should have kept it to myself ! There are some things in life that you don't have to share, just keep it between you and God.. If only i had done that..
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views