Howo u get rid of foamies?

sam30204
on 6/23/10 7:18 am
This is awful! I had no idea, I read where people mentioned it before but hoped I would never get tehm. Why do we get them and how to prevent it or stop it please? Its making me so nauseous

Be nice to nurses....we keep doctors from killing you!

Linda S.
on 6/23/10 7:51 am, edited 6/23/10 7:52 am - Acworth, GA
For me, I think it was a combination of eating/drinking too fast and my tummy just not being ready to accommodate what ever I'd ate/drank. It hasn't happened in over a week whereas it did happen like 5 times in a matter of days. I know this sounds silly but what helped me the most was I bought a child's sippy cup...it helped me learn to drink slower. Another thing I did was double up on the Nextium for a few days. Hang in there, it will get better.
Linda
My Blog - http://mwlj2010.blogspot.com/

rugratmama
on 6/23/10 8:35 am - Charlotte, NC
What are the foamies?

I finally quit cheating on my husband with Ben and Jerry! 

sw/250 cw/140 gw/150          

browneyedDeeva
on 6/23/10 9:08 am - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
Sam what are you talking about ? i never got the " foamies" explain please

see ya lighter,

Toni                         

sam30204
on 6/23/10 10:31 am
It leterally feels like I have slimy foam n the back of my mouth. It is awful, I keep spitting it out and it comes right back. I cant get rid of it. The sippy cup is a good idea

Be nice to nurses....we keep doctors from killing you!

greenolive
on 6/23/10 11:04 am
Sam,

I'm so sorry you are having the "foamies".  It is very hard to learn how to eat after surgery.  Here are some tips to help avoid the "foamies" that I learned when I had the band.  I haven't experienced the foamies since I got the sleeve.  Here goes, and hope it helps:

1.  Use a small demitasse spoon and small "****tail" fork for eating.  This helps take smaller bites.

2.  Chew the **** out of everything.  Even if it is a piece of food smaller than a pencil eraser. 

3.  Wait at least a minute between bites. 

4.  I try to drink something warm before eating to relax my throat/esophageal muscles.  I absolutely can not eat or drink anything cold at all as it seems to cause "spasms" which is good I guess, as I can't eat ice cream and the like.

5.  Try not to eat "finger foods" or food that you can pick up with your fingers.  For some reason, you can "gobble" this type food easier which leads to foamies.

6.  Some people have used Papaya tablets to help disolve the food that is causing the problem.  This may or may not work.  It worked sometimes for me and other times didn't do a thing. 

7.  When eating meats or other dense protein type things, try to moisten them with some low carb type sauce.  The moisture seems to help prevent stuff getting stuck.

8.  If you are new post op and are having problems, you may need to go back to liquids for a few more days.  After the swelling goes down, then slowly advance your diet.

Well, that's all I can think of now.  If I think of anything else, I'll post again.  Hope you are feeling better and congratulations on your new sleeve!
browneyedDeeva
on 6/23/10 11:46 am - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
hi ya,
even though i have not had that problem, i have learned a great deal from you. i do eat with a demitasse spoon and a small salad fork i am a very slow eather to begin with and i have always chewed my food at least 35 times anyway lolol so maybe thats the reason im not having the foamies thank god
thanks again

see ya lighter,

Toni                         

NursieGirl
on 6/23/10 12:03 pm
That sounds awful.  Ick!

FabBy50 .
on 6/23/10 12:13 pm - Everett, WA
Sam

I'm so sorry but I have no experience with that! I wish you well!
boernecheryl
on 6/23/10 2:14 pm - Boerne, TX
Oh Sam, I'm SO SORRY you have this problem today!  It's AWFUL.  I had it the day after surgery and I wasn't having ANYTHING excep****er at that point.  I wish I knew what to tell you.  I just kept spitting and stopped drinking, since I had IV fluids anyway.  It went away the next day.
Try contacting Gaby and asking her if there is anything you can do once it starts.  As for what causes it, it sounds to me like your tummy is unhappy with something and maybe having a spasm so everything is backed up in your esophagus, like someone else said.  Did you have ANYTHING new in the last 24 hours?  If so, I'd blame it on that.
Also, one of the nurses told me to put lime or lemon in my water and that would help my tummy tolerate it better.  I did it today and it seems to have helped.
I also quit the Nexium and switched to Prolisec today.  It's taken care of 95% of the acid problems I was having yesterday on the Nexium.  I don't know if that's a factor of me being 1 more day past surgery, or if Tina just likes the Prilosec better, but I could care less.  I'm sticking with it until it doesn't work.
(((hugs))) to you, friend.  I hope you're better by the time you're reading this.
Cheryl*

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views