Which Mexican Docs Perform DS?

rugratmama
on 6/17/10 4:32 pm - Charlotte, NC
I'm looking to have my sleeve revised to a duodenal switch after doing some research. I was originally going to revise to a rny but the ds seems like a better fit for me. I've been hearing good things about both Dr. Pompa and Dr. Ugson. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I finally quit cheating on my husband with Ben and Jerry! 

sw/250 cw/140 gw/150          

judycay
on 6/17/10 10:54 pm
Dr. Ungson has a great record.   You may also want other opinions - make copies of your upper GI, endoscopy disk and surgical reports and then send the copies (never your originals) via Fed-Ex, DHL or UPS  (mail is not reliable in Mexico) to either Dr. Pablo Zorrilla or Dr. Salvadoor Valencia.   Both have impeccable credentials, have published  research for years, teach advanced bariatrics, are professors of surgery and have written some of the text books used in surgery today.  

Dr. Valencia is heading a new bariatrics division at Excel Hospital in Tijuana, teaches at David Geffen school of medicine UCLA, and works out of the Bariatric Center of Excellence - ABC Hospital in Mexico City, a new hospital in Cuernavaca and Excel in Tijuana.   He splits his time between Mexico City and Tijuana.

Dr. Pablo Zorrilla works out Monterrey, NL in high quality hospitals - all JCI accredited.

No - I don't work for either of them, I am posting as a patient, I know both personally and they are great doctors and honest men.     As a revision patient from a sleeve myself with several medical issues complicating things - both offered unique and creative approaches to revision with the least amount of risk to me.   Hybrid style surgery tailored to the individual needs is something you may want to consider rather than a traditional slice and dice.

Good luck with your research!
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
rugratmama
on 6/18/10 1:28 am - Charlotte, NC

Thanks a lot for the information. I'm still doing research and finding out new things all the time!

I finally quit cheating on my husband with Ben and Jerry! 

sw/250 cw/140 gw/150          

judycay
on 6/18/10 1:45 am
You are most graciously welcome!

Some pretty cool advances are being made in Bariatric surgery right now - coming out of Spain - stay tuned because next year a couple of the surgeons are going to offer some really exciting alternatives to traditional surgery.
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
(deactivated member)
on 6/18/10 3:04 am - AZ
Ungson, without a doubt. Dr. Pompa is a very sweet doctor but very inexperienced. You can't go to an inexperienced surgeon for that particular surgery type. It's as much an art as a skill. It takes a lot of time to develop that.

Ungson is the only surgeon in Mexico that I would go to for that surgery type. If not Ungson then check out surgeons in other countries.

Have you been to www.DSfacts.com? Have you asked about Pompa on the DS boards? I think you will get more info there than here.
Emily F.
on 6/18/10 8:20 am
Ungson is the only vetted ds surgeon. I suggest visited dsfacts.com to learn more about the surgery and see the list of surgeons. Ds is a very complicated surgery and you want the best for your body. Also visit the ds board on here, a lot of experienced people on there to help.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 6/18/10 9:27 am - Tuvalu

PLEASE ignore Judy.  The only Mexican DS doctor who is considered by those of us who have been following this stuff for YEARS, is UNGSON. 

The last person who explained that she could get a better deal by going elsewhere is on her fourth post-op hospital visit in a couple of months.  And now that she's home, nobody wants to touch whatever mess her bargain surgeon created.

Ungson or nothing.
judycay
on 6/18/10 11:46 am
You would prefer I retract the sentence of the first paragraph?
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
Ms. Cal Culator
on 6/18/10 9:31 am - Tuvalu
LeaAnn
on 6/18/10 11:09 am - Huntsville, AL
See the Nov. and Dec. 2005 blog archives on my profile for pics/info/links to Dr. Ungson and his patients.  I can't recommend him highly enough.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views