New and Need Advice

gottago
on 6/13/10 12:04 pm
I'm brand new here.  I don't have insurance so I am looking at going to Mexico for surgery.  I am heavily leaning toward the VSG.  I don't have a lot of money but I see a few places in Mexico within my budget.  I would like to hear your opinions.  Who do you recommend and who would you not recommend.  I would like to hear from those of you that have been there done that so I know what to expect.  Anything else you can tell me that you think would help me.  Please pm me if you don't want to reply on the forum. 
LifeLover
on 6/15/10 4:28 am - Hoover, AL
Welcome to OH!!! I had the VSG done and have been absolutely thrilled!!! I was extremely happy with my entire surgery experience. There isn't anyone that I would not recommend because I don't have any personal experience with anyone other then my surgeon. I have heard wonderful things about many surgeons in Mexico so I'm sure no matter what you decide, you will be happy.
Good Luck in your upcoming journey.

XOXOXO,
Christi
We love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Cougar_in_Training
on 6/15/10 5:04 pm
Being new myself I totally understand and agree with you. I am somewhat overwhelmed with the amount of info there is available but feel like LifeLover said...no matter what we will be happy in the end. I also suggest really figuring out which type of wls will work best for your lifestyle and go from there. No need to really look at the prices until that's done. But also remember to think about the post op requirements as well. The surgery itself is not the only cost. Yo still have to think about fills, supplements, tests, etc. afterwards. I would love to go to Dr. Ungson for my DS but know I will need a reserve to pay for things after surgery since I am self pay as well. That can add up to as much as surgery sometimes depending on where you go and what procedure you have. Take your time to decide and it should all be fine. Best of luck!
judycay
on 6/16/10 2:08 pm
Do your research carefully and methodically and dont believe much of what you hear online, especially the rantings of certain people.  If you know of someone that speaks Spanish - seek out bariatric surgeons in areas of Mexico that have good hospitals but dont necessarily cater to Americans.   The most advertised surgeons are not the only experienced surgeons in Mexico, they just spend a lot on advertising which patients pay for.  Look at Cuernavaca - one of the best Hospitals in Mexico is there and it is a direct flight into Mexico City - then a 45 minute ride to Cuernavaca.   Look at Merida - the University there has a good bariatric program and the costs are less than the border surgeons that are targeting Americans.   There are options out there - not all low cost options are bad and not all upper end cost options are good.
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
shendricks
on 6/17/10 5:48 am - Wolf Point, Mt

Aren't some of the border surgeons also very good?  Just wondering because in my research what you trade for cost in going deeper into Mexico you make up for in Travel and Passport cost.
I am also doing my research so am interested in knowing what things to avoid.

SHaron

judycay
on 6/17/10 7:33 am
Yes, there are many good border area surgeons.   I have always had a passport - I didn't factor that in to my decision.  My feeling on that is if my husband wants to whisk me to Toronto or Barbados for a weekend - I don't want to have to say no for lack of a passport (lol).  

I live in Mexico  part of the year - I am more comfortable flying into the interior of the country but there are those that may prefer border areas for their own reasons.    My main point is - if you have a price in mind, you may want to research a surgeon well known to Mexicans but perhaps not to Americans because in the end - you are paying for their advertising. 
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
(deactivated member)
on 6/18/10 3:28 am - AZ
On June 17, 2010 at 12:48 PM Pacific Time, shendricks wrote:

Aren't some of the border surgeons also very good?  Just wondering because in my research what you trade for cost in going deeper into Mexico you make up for in Travel and Passport cost.
I am also doing my research so am interested in knowing what things to avoid.

SHaron

Lucky for you, you are going to a surgeon that is well known to the Mexican surgeons.  It was the Mexican surgeons that voted him as the President of the Mexican College of Surgeons. ;o)

Monterrey is on the list of cities to avoid by the US and Canadian gov'ts, Mexicali is not.  With that said, I really don't know why Monterrey is on the list of cities to avoid, that is one city I would not avoid as of today.

gottago
on 6/17/10 10:45 pm
Thank you for your advice.  I've received very little of it here.  In all the reading I've done on this board I've found nothing more than crazy rantings and ravings of the same few that sounds like nothing more than a broken record.
judycay
on 6/17/10 11:13 pm
I had heard Hospiten in Playa Del Carmen will be working on a bariatric program geared towards medical tourism also.   I toured the facilities 2 years ago and they are very up to date with the latest equipment and standards.   I have no idea who their surgeon will be but they are part of a network of physicians from Spain so I am sure whomever it is will be experienced and qualified.

The University in Merida has a very good bariatrics program.   I would have to look up the lead surgeons name, it was about 5 years I met him and I can't remember his name.  Merida is a connecting flight from almost everywhere but the city is safe and beautiful.

Your border surgeons advertise more so their names are familiar but there are excellent choices of highly skilled surgeons in top facilities in many areas of Mexico that are safer than border areas.
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics