Unsupportive People

sfasogbon
on 6/11/10 12:55 am - Parkersburg, WV
I mistakenly told my neighbor about my upcoming wls and she has been nothing but negative about it since I told her. Now that I am on my pre op diet, she keeps saying if I can do this pre op diet then I should be able to just diet to lose the weight. Then she keeps saying she just thinks it's all about will power. THEN her husband (who is EXTREMELY skinny) decides to put his 2 cents in and say that overeating is just a habit that needs to be broken (while he is puffing away on his cigarettes). She is overweight and I hate to say someone is jealous of me, but I honestly think she is jealous that I'm going to be losing weight and she's not.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant!! lol

Boscogirl
on 6/11/10 2:14 am - TX
I am so sorry that she is treating you that way.  I have found the same thing in my experience...even with close friends so I have decided to NOT tell anyone else....even family members. 
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
sfasogbon
on 6/11/10 2:16 am - Parkersburg, WV
 That's how I feel now. I really regret even saying anything to her. It makes me not want to talk about it to anyone anymore, which is awful! I also heard she was outside telling all of the neighbors I was going to Mexico to have wls and that it wouldn't help me anyways. Of course she denied saying that when I confronted her, but I know she did b/c I didn't tell anyone but her, so there would be no other way of them knowing.

browneyedDeeva
on 6/11/10 2:26 am - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
ok sweetie, although in a fantasy world we would want everyone to be supportive of our decisions and be authentic and happy for us butttttttttt in the real world there are people whether it be family or friends that is not supportive just like u experienced . hate to say it but it is indeed jealousy and its their problem not urs. keep it on a HQ from now on and then let them see how hot ur gonna be wahooooooo would u believe the only people that know of my surgery is my hubby my son and my daughter and 1 best friend whom i can trust thats it my family dont know and why? cuz i would have had the same ridicule mexicoooooooooooooo????? are u crazyyyyyyyyyy????? ur takin the easy way out blah ., blah and more blah do not waste ur good energy on people like that okie dokie smokey

see ya lighter,

Toni                         

sfasogbon
on 6/11/10 2:32 am - Parkersburg, WV
 Now I do understand why people keep their surgery a secret. I guess I just thought everyone would understand and be supportive...WRONG!! lol I also thought it wouldn't bother me if someone wasn't supportive, but it does, and I don't know why. From now on I have decided if they say anything else about it I am going to tell them I didn't ask them for their opinion and to keep it to themselves. I will also tell them I am doing this for me, not them.

Kelleigh710
on 6/11/10 2:45 am
You're going to get a whole boatload of ridicule and comments that are completely uncalled for. Let me tell you, failing with a gastric bypass, and then deciding to have a revision in Mexico.....people have been having a field day..."You couldnt hack it with a bypass, what makes you think this is going to work?" "You're having surgery in a country where it isn't safe to drink the water". "Hope the cartels don't kill you first". I mean seriously, I've been pretty beat up these last few months, but I know in my heart I am doing the right thing and have chosen the correct surgeon and hospital. We all ust need to maintain faith in ourselves and out decisions and everything will be A-okay. Best of luck to you!
sfasogbon
on 6/11/10 2:51 am - Parkersburg, WV
 Yeah that's horrible. Do people not realize this is a difficult enough decision to make, we don't need all of the negative comments and opinions to go with it! It makes me want to tell them what my mom used to tell me when I was little, If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all! lol  It's like, you tell people because you are looking for that "support", but when they don't respond the way we would like, it really hurts!!! I just keep telling myself, they haven't done all of the research that I have, so they have no clue. I also tell them I'm going to be the one on the operating table, not them, and I have done TONS of research and I feel good about my decision. 

I really just wish I wouldn't have told anyone....

FabBy50 .
on 6/11/10 4:27 am - Everett, WA
Why do people have to be so ignorant!!! I have had the smae problems with many of my friends, in fact my best friend does not really even talk to me anymore. They will come around when they see how healthy you will be! Until then, ignore them!
sfasogbon
on 6/11/10 4:47 am - Parkersburg, WV
 Thank you....that's my plan! :)

LAX11
on 6/11/10 4:48 am
some people don't know the old saying: "if you don't have something nice to say... don't say anything!" ignore saying anything else to them... when she sees you've lost weight come Labor Day... they will be wanting to talk to you... besides you've got us to talk too....
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views