Not hearing much about the drug cartel anymore?

bigisbad
on 6/11/10 7:38 am - Canada, Canada
Is all a bit peaceful now at the border?
Nothing on the news at all. Not like 3 or 4 months ago.

lolalucy
on 6/11/10 7:49 am
 It seems to be calming down a bit.  The good thing about surgery in Mexico is you have a driver with you at all times so that should also ease everyone's mind.
Anew Start
on 6/11/10 9:00 am
funny you posted that, I had just read this earlier today...not stopping me from going to get my surgery, but food for thought

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wprl/news.newsmain/article /0/0/1662031/World/Gunmen.kill.19.people.at.Mexico.drug.reha b.clinic

FWLizzie
on 6/11/10 3:00 pm - Fort Worth, TX
All the cartels are heading to South of Mexico now.

judycay
on 6/12/10 11:29 am
As an ex pat - the cartels have always existed and still do, however we as Americans are not the targets.  Occaissionaly someone does happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and gets caught in crossfire - but that can happen in the US too.  

I still drive through much of Mexico by myself without fear for safety as long as I use general safety precautions I would use in the US.   I  do avoid most border areas and fly directly to my destination and keep a Mexican plated vehicle.

I am more fearful of some US cities, Houston my truck was broken into and trashed and I was mugged in Chicago, my best friend's son shot in the back in a San Antonio car wash for $50.

The cartel issue is extremely complex - but for the most part, they are not targeting Americans.
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
judycay
on 6/13/10 11:37 am
Stay out of border areas and use common sense travel precautions.  

I have maintained homes and lived in Mexico for more than 10 years now very safely as long as I stay out of border towns.
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
judycay
on 6/13/10 11:19 pm
Unsafe Border cities:
Matamoras
Reynosa
Nuevo Laredo
Cuidad Juarez
Nogales
Mexicali
Tijuana

Many Mexican cities are not affected:
Chetumal, Merida, Queretaro, Puebla, San Luis Potosi, Augascalientes, Cuernavaca, Playa Del Carmen - many others.   One of my personal favorites is Merida.
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
NursieGirl
on 6/14/10 12:43 am
Thanks Judy, for such a detailed, thoughtful reply!  I have always felt safe in Mexico too, just as safe as in my hometown of Los Angeles, CA.  General precautions are needed in most cities.  And yes, Merida is gorgeous!

judycay
on 6/14/10 2:44 am
Merida is one of my favorite places anywhere - and just south is Uxmal - some of the best archaeological treasures in Mexico!

I do still travel to Tijuana - I use the same security precautions i would use in the US - never travel with flashy jewelry, watches, use a secure hotel, stay out of certain areas of the city, use the authorized taxis - not the combis or drive a vehicle with Mexican plates.

We used to travel to Cuidad Juarez many years ago - it was a beautiful city but I am staying out of there for now but that is the only place I simply won't go.

Mexico is very misunderstood - it is a poor country so property theft is huge - if you leave your door unlocked on your beach home - your TV will be gone.   If you leave your Ipod outside in the palapa, it will be gone, if you don't lock your car, your spare tire will be gone.   The local philosophy runs along these lines - that if you cared about your possessions, you would care enough to secure them.  So when ladrones take your possessions isn't really theft - it is simply relieving you of something you didn't care enough about to properly secure.

Most areas you are never in any physical danger, I have driven through most of the Yucatan states alone for years without problems.  And I am looking forward to another road trip very soon!
Judy 

Lapband Mar 2000/2005
Intestinal Erosion 2006
Sleeve Revision 2007
RNY Revision 2008
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/10 10:36 am - AZ
No, the problems are still just as bad as ever. Tijuana and Juarez are very dangerous cities.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 424 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 614 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1201 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1826 views