Need Feedback!

LadyCatherine
on 5/27/10 2:18 pm - Martinsburg, WV

My husband and I are planning to both get our Gastric Bypass done at the same time in Mexico with Dr. Alejandro Aguirre. We live in New Hampshire and it's a long flight (6 hours or so) and we plan to stay a full 7 days post-op just to make sure we're feeling well enough to fly home. Our concern is if it's a bad idea to get it done together (the surgeries spaced 1 day apart). Has anyone else done this as a couple? Making two trips seems so unnecessary, but I wanted some opinions from those who've gone through this.

Thanks =)

Cathy

greenbaygirl
on 5/27/10 3:23 pm - Hobart, WI
Went with my sister back in January and there was a couple doing it together on the same day.  They did fabulous and were able to understand and support each other the whole way.  You'll do great going together.  We had a 4 hour flight home, and it's really not a big deal.  (Lived near Keene, NH for 5 years, moving back next year) Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/10 3:58 am
 Hi Cathy,

I had my VSG done in Tijuana and I traveled alone. Like you, I was able to have a longer recovery period there, which really worked to my advantage.

My BMI was relatively low and I did not have any surgery intensifying co-morbibities. Also, I'm pretty self sufficient and independent. I think all of these would also play a part?

But, I can't speak to RNY surgery, except to say that I think it is much more complicated than VSG. I believe these people have had RNY in Mexico: Oregondiver and FightingFat. If you pm them, they could give you more information. And, perhaps, you could post your question on the RNY forum? on the main board?

I wish you and your husband all the very best!

Cheryl
Emily F.
on 5/28/10 8:13 am
I would think you would need to rely on nurses more than the avg person with a helper. I just hope everything goes well for both of you.

good luck
ishary
on 5/28/10 10:14 am - Whittier, CA
I think you will be fine.
The extra days are really going to be nice for you both to recoop and by the time you get on the plane you will be feeling better.
I had surgery on a wednesday and was back to work on the following Tuesday.
Good Luck to you both!!
Lap Band March 2007
Band Slipped -Emergency Removal May 2008
Dr. Lopez Corvala- Hospital Angeles TJ

VSG Jan. 28th, 2010
Dr. Almanza-Jerusalem Clinic

jenni80
on 5/28/10 11:42 am
I think you will be fine doing it together, i have heard a few couples doing that.  Especially having the extra time to recover.  You both can lean on eachother throughout the whole thing and be taken care of by the drs and nurses.

Jeanette  

LadyCatherine
on 6/1/10 2:59 pm - Martinsburg, WV
Thank you all for the replies. We're leaving in 36 hours... I cannot believe it and we are both so excited.

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/10 3:42 pm - AZ
You are going to a good surgeon, congrats on your research!
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/10 2:19 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
My 19 year old daughter and I had lapband surgery done on the same day and with hind sight being 20/20 I should not have done it that way.

Had there been a serious complication I would have been worthless to her.

Can you stay longer in Mexico and maybe schedule your surgeries two weeks apart ?
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views